Tyre size? and mudguards

GibboGT
GibboGT Posts: 287
edited January 2009 in Road beginners
Hi,

Just waiting on my Touche to be built and delivered.

Going for the gatorskin tyres, guy in the shop recommended going for 25's? It's going to be a commuter, running around town, fitness training etc Should I have gone with 23's?

I'm from a MB'ing background, never really ridden road before. May wish to get some mudguards, and from the other thread these look nice as I don't like the look of full guards over the entire wheel. But these wont fit on a 25?

Any help or views appreciated.

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    to be honest, I cannot imagine that those guards would not fit 25s too. Stick with 25s, with or without the guards...
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    "as I don't like the look of full guards over the entire wheel."

If you want to go out in the rain and muck then you might find that looks cease to be your main concern!

" But these wont fit on a 25?"

I find it difficult to see why should NOT fit 25s if sit them a little further from the tyre. They will then no doubt let a bit more spray escape - but then such raceguard styling won't keep much of you or the bike dry anyway.

Sorry, but can't see the point of these unless you do not have the option of full 'grds and even then probably not worth the small benefits IME.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    GibboGT wrote:
    I don't like the look of full guards over the entire wheel.

I don't like 'guards either, but I've still got them on my commuting bike and my winter bike, pretty much a necessity unless you want to get a cold wet back/bum everytime it rains in winter.

Definitely get proper 'guards if you are commuting.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • rb1956
    rb1956 Posts: 134
    GibboGT wrote:
    Going for the gatorskin tyres, guy in the shop recommended going for 25's? It's going to be a commuter, running around town, fitness training etc Should I have gone with 23's? I'm from a MB'ing background, never really ridden road before. May wish to get some mudguards, and from the other thread these look nice as I don't like the look of full guards over the entire wheel. But these wont fit on a 25?
    Unless your streets are a lot smoother than Sydney's, I'd say 25s are the minimum you want on a commuter. 28s might be even better if they'll fit your rims and allow you to install full mudguards in your chosen frame. And IMHO full guards are the only sort worth a light, especially if you extend them with rubber flaps. Dry feet trump style every time in my book, and mudguards that don't pass right over the front wheel allow the tyre to fling dirty water up into your bottom headset bearing.
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    +1 If you're riding in wet weather then go for full mudguards, however carp you think they look. It's much nicer to arrive home clean than splattered in mud.
  • GibboGT
    Ok, cheers for the input folks. Some appreciated info.

Will have a look around at full guards.
  • GibboGT
    Are there any well recommended?

perhaps idiot question about size? 35mm 42mm or 45mm? presumably they will all cover 700c 25's.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    SKS chromoplastics. 35mm plenty wide enough for 25's