London to Paris - route and general advice sought

The Chingford Skinhead
edited January 2009 in Tour & expedition
Hello. I and a couple of mates at work did a day ride from NE London to Cambridge last year and have just decided to do a NE London to Oxford trip in March (visiting the big univeristy towns, Hull next according to Blackadder Goes Forth!). However, before the dust has settled on our audacious plan for Oxford (Cambridge was done without a map!) we saw the article in the London Bog Standard about the proposed London to Paris cycle lane and a mad idea formed... we can't wait until 2012 so want to go in June. Probably allow 5 days (wth the last day a contingency day but otherwise set aside for recovery in a bar drinking champaign.

The route The plan is to get from NE London to New Haven - any advice on that leg would be appreciated. We'll then get the ferry to Dieppe and use the existing Dieppe to Forge-les-Eaux former railway line route and guess the rest. Again, any advice on the rest of the route or if anyone has used the Dieppe to Forge route and can tell me what it was like would be helpful.

The bikes We're all on hybrids or mountain bikes with slick narrow tyres with panniers. Is that going to be a nightmare for this length of journey or doable? I have the option of using a road bike rather than hybrid but it doesn't have a rack (not sure it has any points to secure one) and I haven't ridden it much - is that still a better option? Alternatively are we better off hiring some bikes - presumably tourers.

Accommodation This will need to be a cheap and cheerful trip - anyone know what the French equivalent to a travel lodge is? what they are like? Have any alternative suggestions?

We're going to do some of our own internet searching but would really appreciate your input. (I did scan back a fair few pages to see if the topic had already been covered - if it has then please just add the link)

Cheers all

TCS
Pain is only weakness leaving the body

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Travelodge equivelant in France is Formule 1 or Campenelle or a name similar to that. Formule 1 are usually found in service areas on the motorways. IME the Campanelle are basic but comfortable 2 beds, TV, salle de bains plus a coffee machine that I couldn't work.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Cheers Redvee, that's helpful.

On bike hire, did a quick google search but it appears most cycle hire shops in London hire hybrids or MTBs rather than tourers :( so I'm going to have to decide on the hybrid or finding a way to attach a pannier to my road bike (and get some practice on it)
  • For the London to Newhaven route, I can help out:

Follow the London to Brighton route (search on bikely.com) going through Turners Hill, Ardingly and Lindfield. When you get to Lindfield fork left onto the B2111. At the top turn right then left onto Slugwash Lane into Wivelsfield Green then follow signs to East Chilington or Plumpton (your choice) then at the foot of the Downs take a left to get yourself to Lewes: then take the road going directly south of Lewes through Piddinghoe and Rodmell to get to Newhaven. You can see the port and follow the signs to get to the ferry!

Have a splendid trip, it sounds like great fun.
  • Excellent, cheers Ed.