What did I do wrong?

gb-locks
gb-locks Posts: 62
edited January 2009 in Road beginners
I adjusted the hight of the handlebars on my winter bike an old peugeot premiere now after tightening everything back up there's now some movement in the head tube when I rock back and fore with the front brake is on. What have I done wrong?
cheers
Gary
It's not the size of dog in the fight but the size of fight in the dog.

Comments

• I would imagine that you have a threaded headset and it sounds as if you've not preloaded the bearings properly before tightening the locknut. Check out this site here and follow the instructions.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=127
  • bice
    bice Posts: 772
    are you sure you have done anything wrong. there's often movement in a frame if you just rock back and forwards with the front brake on. does it rock with both on?
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    bice wrote:
    there's often movement in a frame if you just rock back and forwards with the front brake on. does it rock with both on?
    WHAT??!!! There should NEVER be movement in a frame! :o :shock:

Sounds like a loose headset - did you actually put anything under the raised bars?

Procedure should be:

Loosen stem bolts
    Loosen stem cap
    Adjust stem height / spacers etc
    Re-install
    Tighten stem cap bolt first until there is clamping pressure in the headset assembly but no binding when you turn the bars
    Tighten stem bolts

Check by pulling on the front brake and rocking backwards and forwards - any play and you need to loosen the stem bolts, tighten the stem cap some more, then re-tighten the stem bolts 8)
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    bice wrote:
    there's often movement in a frame if you just rock back and forwards with the front brake on. does it rock with both on?
    WHAT??!!! There should NEVER be movement in a frame! :o :shock:

Sounds like a loose headset - did you actually put anything under the raised bars?

Procedure should be:

Loosen stem bolts
    Loosen stem cap
    Adjust stem height / spacers etc
    Re-install
    Tighten stem cap bolt first until there is clamping pressure in the headset assembly but no binding when you turn the bars
    Tighten stem bolts

Check by pulling on the front brake and rocking backwards and forwards - any play and you need to loosen the stem bolts, tighten the stem cap some more, then re-tighten the stem bolts 8)

I think the OP has a threaded headset rather than a threadless headset.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    I think the OP has a threaded headset rather than a threadless headset.
    Ah yes, just re-read and spotted the "old"! :oops: :lol:

Was just shocked at the thought that someone believed there's often movement in a frame!! :o :? :shock: :lol:
  • Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    with old style quille stems DO NOT RAISE above the line showing maximum height. As above there should never be play in the front end the bars should rotate smoothly but never have movement.
  • Diogenes
    Diogenes Posts: 1,628
    I would imagine that you have a threaded headset and it sounds as if you've not preloaded the bearings properly before tightening the locknut. Check out this site here and follow the instructions.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=127

Quite likely to be as above, a couple of questions, thoughts:- (If I am teaching granny to suck eggs then I apologise).

a) Assuming it is a threaded headset (You simply undo a bolt in the top of the stem and the stem comes loose. If you pull it all the way out you will see the bolt passing through two pieces if metal with angles cut on them). You do not normally need to loosen the headset when adjusting these, the headset is held in place by a large nut on the frame through which the stem is passing. If you did loosen the headset then you will need to preload it as described above.

b) If you did not loosen the headset but had to give the stem some "persuasion" to loosen then you may have loosened the headset. Again preload.

c) If you pull the stem too far out (raise it too high) then you will get play on the stem / frame interface.

Suggest you loosen the bolt on the top of the stem, push the stem a bit further back in and then tighten. Put the front brake on and rock the bike, if there is play in the front the your headset is either loose or knackered. If not, then reset the height of the stem, paying particular attention to the maximum mark on the side.

Hope this helps.

D :)
  • Thanks for the replies chaps, when undoing the top large nut I must have inadvertently loosened large nut below so didn't tighten it when I tightened the others. I won't make that mistake again, cheers for your help.
    Gary
    It's not the size of dog in the fight but the size of fight in the dog.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    There's no need to touch the large nuts at all when adjusting the stem, purely the bolt on the top of the stem.