Trek 1.2 - first upgrade?

Sewinman
Sewinman Posts: 2,131
edited January 2009 in Road beginners
I have a Trek 1.2 and wondered what the first thing one should upgrade on it. Currently its exactly as bought. Perhaps its not worth bothering to upgrade?

Thoughts with thanks..?

Comments

• gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    usual suspects are:

better tyres & tubes
    better wheels
    lighter / more comfy saddle
    carbon seatpost

I also think it is worthwhile getting rid of "unbranded" components and completing the groupset - for example a lot of bikes advertise as "tiagra" but actually have cheaper unbranded or (slightly better) 3rd party calipers like Tektro - a good upgrade IMO is to change the brake calipers to the groupset (or above) to save some weight and gain some braking performance.
  • gkerr4
    oh also - if you don't have them - then clipless pedals and shoes are an extremely worthwhile first upgrade!

one more thing..

whats the budget?
  • gkerr,

interesting pointers...

I have had a quick look at the tyres (Bontrager X Lite) and they seem to be pretty good.
    Saddle - will see when I have been on a couple of runs how my @rse feels afterwards!!
    Have got clipless pedals (just looking for some shoes now)

to be honest - I am unsure that wheels & carbon seatpost will make any noticeable performance improvement to myself...I'd rather get stronger through fitness than reduce weight by 100g on the bike.
  • gkerr4
    bontrager x lite are decent tyres - you should have got the 'selects' on the 1.2 so you have done well - i think they are still rigid tyres so there may be some benefit in moving to a folding higher TPI tyre in terms if comfort, rolling resistance and weight - but it's not as much as it would be if you were coming from the selects.

saddle - i HATE the std bonty saddles - had one on my pilot 1.2 - it was too soft, too uncomfy over the long haul and it soaked water up in the material bits on the side which kept you wet for hours after things had dried up. it was only when I took it off that I realised it weighed a ton too - i have specialized toupe which looks like a torture device but is actually really comfy and weighs bugger all.

the carbon post is meant to reduce vibration - although there are a lot of people who claim it makes no odds - your choice i guess.
    (i do think there is benefit to a decent carbon post - in particular i like the zertz-insert equipped S-Works Pave SL post on my S-Works roubaix - they are around £60 - £70 though)

wheels do make a difference - better quality bearings that you can feel - less flex into the brake blocks when climbing or out of saddle efforts and a weight saving to boot. if you are near blackpool you'd be welcome to try the R561s I have kicking about the garage - they were a £180 wheel when i got them - '105' spec and were a good, noticeable upgrade on my pilot 1.2 which came with the bontrager SSR aero wheels as std.
  • gkerr,

thanks for the reply....

saddle - ok, will see how it performs.
    wheels - £180 each - thats nearly the cost of the bike!!!

My plan is to give it a month or so and then see what the piggy bank has available...
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I don't think upgrades are worth it, why not just replace things with upgrades as they wear out, or sell the bike on to get a better one. Spending the amount necessary to make any dramatic impact is probably not cost effective when you look at the costs versus complete new bike less the resale value of your current one. If the bike fits and is comfy (preferred saddle and stem), the gearing suits you (different cassette?) you have pedals, the tyres are reliable, then that would be about it for me.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr,

thanks for the reply....

saddle - ok, will see how it performs.
    wheels - £180 each - thats nearly the cost of the bike!!!

My plan is to give it a month or so and then see what the piggy bank has available...[/quote

no no - £180 was the RRP for a pair - I paid £130 at the time - they are now available for around £110 - although they have been replaced by the new range of RS10 / RS20 etc shimano wheels.
  • Sewinman wrote:
    I have a Trek 1.2 and wondered what the first thing one should upgrade on it. Currently its exactly as bought. Perhaps its not worth bothering to upgrade?

Thoughts with thanks..?

You don't say exactly, but it sounds like you've either just bought the bike or not had it that long.

If that's the case, my advice is to change nothing until you've had the chance to ride the bike a good number of times and get some decent mileage out of it. The reason I'm saying that is:

1 To get your moneys worth out of the components you have.

2 Get to know what your bike has and learn why you may want to change to better components.

It took me about a year from getting my road bike before I starting changing various components, clipless pedals, wheels, saddle, seatpost, forks, more wheels. When you do know what you want to upgrade, take your time and research the various brands that supply the parts you want to change.

Dunedin
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    pound for pound the best upgrade will be koolstop brake pads.
    Improved braking and kinder to your rims.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • I have last years Trek 1.2 which I use as a winter bike. I've just bought new wheels for my other bike, so swapped the Bontrager Race Light wheels onto the 1.2. Rode it for the first time this morning & it felt superb. Really good ride. I use Bontrager Race Light Hard Case tyres. I'm impressed with this bike as an entry level piece of kit.