TomTom Itinerary Files

infopete
infopete Posts: 878
edited January 2009 in Tour & expedition
Hi everyone,

I've just written a little web application that allows you to create TomTom itinerary files by using Microsoft Maps.

It's version one so it's bound to have a few "bugs".

It should be ideal for creating your routes on a BIG map and then transferring the waypoints to TomTom.

Now all I need is a battery that lasts on my phone so I can tour all day with TomTom.

Let me know if you like it, hate it or want any changes.

Oh it's free too.

www.tomtracks.com

Pete
Oh and please remember to click on my blog:

http://americanbicyclegroup.wordpress.com

The more clicks I get the higher it creeps up the google radar :)

Comments

• Gotte
    Gotte Posts: 494
    Wow, that's great. Thanks.
  • shaef
    shaef Posts: 5
    cheers looks interesting, will have a look and feedback.

For the battery, you could try a Powermonkey Explorer, I use one to supplement the power to my TomTom One which is mount on my stem. If both are fully charged at the start the tomtom will run for approx 6 hours continuous usage.

Just need to find a way to waterproof the TomTom One!
  • infopete
    shaef wrote:
    cheers looks interesting, will have a look and feedback.

For the battery, you could try a Powermonkey Explorer, I use one to supplement the power to my TomTom One which is mount on my stem. If both are fully charged at the start the tomtom will run for approx 6 hours continuous usage.

Just need to find a way to waterproof the TomTom One!

At the moment I carry two batteries for my phone, as I have to say I still prefer paper maps. But Tomtom is great when you're in the middle of nowhere and the map details isn't good enough.

• infopete
    Just added a few extra features today.

Not had any suggestions for enhancements yet......

Pete

• shaef
    shaef Posts: 5
    ok, had a play for a few minutes,

buttons don't seem to do what you'd expect, clearing removes the waypoints but doesn't clear the list you've created. re-clicking create doesn't add the new ones.

I want to drag the waypoints when I've misplaced them.

I would want to see what route it creates, so I can adjust the waypoints, (as they're just a means to and end to send me down the roads I want to use). Guess that would need tomtom proprietary software integrated though.

What's the story with this? Your site makes it clear it's a presursor to a commercial application for tracking deliveries etc. Is pitching this to the cycling community simply an innovative way of getting end-user feedback for it's primary goal or are you spinning off something which would be aimed at cyclists?
  • infopete
    1. I don't clear the textbox because you can edit or delete lines and then load the itinerary back to the map.

2. I hope to be able to drag waypoints soon.

3, I can add a button to create a route from the waypoints. I also suggest that you run the route through TomTom to make sure TomTom takes you the same way.

4. The main reason for doing this is the commercial application (someone needs to pay for the development). However, I intend to keep this part free and available for all to use.

For instance, when I drive passed the Metro Centre in gateshead and tell TomTom to get me away from the place it always tries to take me into Newcastle. I wanted to create an itinerary to take me a better and quicker way.

Also, I like being able to look at the online map and choose my cycling routes as TomTom's cycling routes are rubbish.

shaef wrote:
    ok, had a play for a few minutes,

buttons don't seem to do what you'd expect, clearing removes the waypoints but doesn't clear the list you've created. re-clicking create doesn't add the new ones.

I want to drag the waypoints when I've misplaced them.

I would want to see what route it creates, so I can adjust the waypoints, (as they're just a means to and end to send me down the roads I want to use). Guess that would need tomtom proprietary software integrated though.

What's the story with this? Your site makes it clear it's a presursor to a commercial application for tracking deliveries etc. Is pitching this to the cycling community simply an innovative way of getting end-user feedback for it's primary goal or are you spinning off something which would be aimed at cyclists?

• infopete
    Ok, you can now move waypoints using the right mousekey and you can also check your directions.

Not bad for a Friday :)

• I'll have a look at yout itinerary app later.

I currently use TYRE to prepare itineraries and download to TomTom. It was written for motorcycling but can be used as a base then some mods on TomTom.
  • infopete
    I'll have a look at yout itinerary app later.

I currently use TYRE to prepare itineraries and download to TomTom. It was written for motorcycling but can be used as a base then some mods on TomTom.

I'll have a look at TYRE..... almost impossible to find when you google just "tyre"

Pete