Marin or Penmachno....rideable at present?

Gribbind
Gribbind Posts: 8
edited January 2009 in MTB rides
Anyone know if the Marin or Penmachno are rideable at present given recent snow?

Cheers

Dom.

Comments

• mbnut
    mbnut Posts: 155
    Both will be icy but you can ride them... I would suggest Penmachno and only loop 1 as loop2 is very icy. Marin will be fine on all that fireroad but its eroded in places and would be very tricky near the end.... only ride either if you are quite capable as it may be a confidence drain to tackle them and find yourself pushing....

If you can get there Coed LLandegla will be fine and is enormous fun... pretty smooth and swoppy...

Enjoy your ride... i'm jealous
  • Thanks for feedback MBNut. Much appreciated.

Just heard from someone on the ground there and frost has lifted today (Fri 9/1) and looking pretty good & mild for weekend.

Amazingly, they have had no snow in Betys-Y-Coed area, just hard frosts.
  • Was thinking of doing penmachno in the morning, it's -3 degrees at the moment in altrincham (south manchester) however the forecast is good for tomorrow. Never ridden in bad ice before but snow is fun. haha. Any other info?
  • licko
    licko Posts: 72
    The Marin is great when it's frozen - rock hard, fast and grippy. Better than summer! There's sometimes a bit of ice where water flows over the fireroad but the singletrack is all good.

I was out there 2 weeks ago at well below freezing - highly recommended!
  • The Marin is fine, we did it last weekend and there has been a lot of trail maint going on as the tracks were very dusty and looking good. There was a bit of ice on the fire roads but other than that it ran really well.