Shoes - will spd r racing pedals fit a mountain bike?

topher9
topher9 Posts: 54
edited January 2009 in Road beginners
Okay, this is rather complex. I am a beginner to this and am looking at doing a duathlon or triathlon. So, I've started training but on my current bike which is a mountain bike. I am doing mostly road riding with some turbo training too. I will buy a road bike soon but at the minute, I need to continue to train on my mountain bike.

I've seen some SPD-r pedals at a great price and wanted to buy them for when I eventually get my road/TT bike.

But in the meantime, will they fit on my mountain bike? i.e. will the threads fit my current pedals?! And then when I get a road bike, I can transfer them.

Presumably they are pretty much a standard size. Anyone help?

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I am sure the pedals will fit onto your mtb cranks. As far as I know pedal threads are pretty standard. (I have mountain bike style SPD pedals on my road bike)

However, I imagine they are a great price because Shimano stopped making them some time ago and they have been superseded by SPD-SL for road bikes. You may have difficulty finding cleats for them in future
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    They'll definitely screw on, but you're probably better off getting MTB SPDs, or SPD-SLs, as you'll be sure to get the cleats for them. There's no problem using MTB pedals on a road bike, and is probably a better choice for a lot of people.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • topher9
    topher9 Posts: 54
    Cheers guys, guess I will give them a miss and bide my time. Thanks for your advice.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Don't bother with them.They are sods to unclip.