Turbo training on my MTB couple of questions?

Ellio
Ellio Posts: 100
edited January 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi new to the forum please be gentle.
:lol::lol:
I am looking at canceling my gym membership and getting a turbo trainer for the wife and I to use and just have a couple of question. I have a Giant yukon http://www.wheelies.co.uk/products-Yukon-Disc-2009_20275.htm this one. I have got some semi slicks on it at the moment with the nobbies on the out side. I only plan to use this in the winter months when its too cold and dark hen i get home so would i be better off getting some slicks for the trainer? also I am not looking at spending more than £100 on a trainer could anyone recommend me something?

I have been looking round at a few and see the 2 types are manly fan and magnetic now this will probably sound like a silly question but what are the magnetic ones like? I know they wont make as much noise as a fan one but i have had a magnetic exercise bike and hated the resistance that gave as it didn't feel the same as when riding. i know it wont be identical but i want one that's close to given the same feel as out on the road if that makes sense, I suppose in a way what i want to know is will the rear wheel still spin after i have stopped peddling?

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I've got a basic Elite magnetic turbo trainer that has done many miles and is quite noisy but still functional. IMO slicks are the only way to go but you will probably be OK with semi-slicks. Biggest problem is mind-blowing boredom and with sweat pouring all over the top tube and dripping onto the front mech and spangly chainset *ahem*
  • magnetic turbos are fine, get yourself a slick on a old wheel that you can swap in and out as you like and pump that sucker up hard 70 psi
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i have two both mag ones they are fine a little noisey espcially if you use nobbies slicks are smoother and quieter...

have to agree with the boredom factor i try to put as much time as possable in on the tt but boredom is the hardest thing to releave.
  • JasonRwmb
    JasonRwmb Posts: 268
    I have a Tacx Swing turbo trainer that works pretty well. It is magnetic resistance so ts fairly quiet. It has adjustable resistance which is handy as I use a single speed mountain bike on it, the only time the magnetic resistance doesn't seem to really replicate normal cycling is when the resistance is really high, as the cadence increases the resistance feels to decrease - hard to describe really but it is not really an issue.

It well worth investing in an indoor trainer specific tyre. They are much better than even using a slick tyre.

To relive the boredom I find Spinerval DVDs good. If you do a search on Google you will find them. You can often pick them up cheap on ebay.
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    For the sweat I have a fan set up in front of the bike and drape a towel over the top tube. Nothing you can do about the boredom though really.
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • Ellio
    Just been having a look at this one http://www.wheelies.co.uk/products-Gyro-V150-Trainer-with-Remote-Turbo-Trainer_20713.htm anyone know if its a good one for the price? I can get it for £116 delivered
  • cjw
    Would think so.

I've got the minoura RDA 850 (Rim Drive type for use with knobbly tyres as it works on the wheel rim - I knew that if I had to keep changing tyres / wheels the thing would just sit in the garage never being used) and it is very sturdy (looks similar build to that).
    London to Paris Forum

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • Ellio
    well that's just thrown a spanner in the works lol.

No no I must stick to budget or the wife will kill me
  • BenS999
    BenS999 Posts: 202
    I have a Cycleops Mag trainer - see link below. You dont really need a fancy one with the remote shifter as you can use your gears, nice to have but my budget didnt allow for it. I used my MTB tyre for about 10 minutes before the niose drove me mad and the wife gave a look of much unhappiness and distress so i purchased a Spesh slick for the back (see link below again) and its SO much quieter.

True the boredom is killer, but if i have my ipod or occasionally i might setup my laptop and a movie its not bad. Also helps if you use a cycle computer, stop watch or heart rate monitior as you can then do some interval training to make it less boring (i like to push hard for x time then rest for y, with a cheap heart rate monitor (about£10-£15 from sports direct) you can make some workouts for yourself that make an hour pass in no time at all)

As mentioned above a towel on the top tube is a very good idea as sweat can be corrosive...

Shop around - you may find the below products cheaper, can't remember what i paid for them...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Cycle ... 360012878/
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec001843
    2011 Orange Five Pro
    On-One Pompetamine Alfine Comp
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    To be brutally honest - you've got to be bloody dedicated to get the best use out of a turbo. Its hard hard work with little to distract you.

£100 wont buy a brilliant turbo. I'd expect it to feel a bit choppy and it will be noisy. It needs relegating to the garage or shed - and that needs to be cold or you will melt on a turbo. A Fan is essential. As is an ipod or similar.

If you were a racer - then I'd think you'd have a better chance - but the average cyclist wont do more than one session on it. HRM will keep the interest up - and try the Blue Book by Pete Read - thats full of good sessions.

You'd have more fun getting some cheap lights and playing out at night.
  • Ellio
    when you say its mind numbing boredom are you comparing that to just being out on the road or gym as well as at the moment i go the the gym to go on the bike there during the winter and just thought this would save money.
  • cjw
    No, it is very different to being out on the road :lol: When out you've clearly got changes of scenery, the thrill of almost being knocked off by passing Audi's etc.

Probably similar to the gym bike, but again there you have interesting(?) distractions... people dropping free weights on their foot, screems as the machine cable breaks and lushious young ladies getting all sweaty to oggle.

On the trainer you just sit there and pedal and pedal and pedal and pedal stare at the same old room - no coasting, no scenery just pedal and pedal and..... you get the idea :shock:

I tend not to listen to music but use my Garmin set up for interval training and stare at the screen.
    London to Paris Forum

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • BenS999
    when you say its mind numbing boredom are you comparing that to just being out on the road or gym as well as at the moment i go the the gym to go on the bike there during the winter and just thought this would save money

I agree with Cougie - its very boring, i use the gym also - bike and treadmill, its no more boring than that although at least in the gym youve got tv, music and with any luck something nice to look at on the equipment in front or next to you! :-) Thats why i need my ipod or a movie or something to keep me entertained, otherwise its not much fun. Its a pain to keep changing tyres also but once in the habit its not too bad, much like anyhting i guess. Besides its only really for the coldest winter months when riding in the week time evenings are not much fun. It remains a good way of keeping or gaining some fitness so you can blow all your mates off your back wheel when the warmer weahter returns adn others are left a bit larger and slower! :D
    2011 Orange Five Pro
  • I can honestly say I've never found the turbo boring. Use mine loads. A great tool.
  • Ellio
    You haven't seen the gym I go to. The most interesting thing to happen is a lad with turrets call the other half a F***ing wh**e. At least i hope he had turrets.

All i really want the trainer for is for winter months as I don't get out on the bike in the evening till 8 because of my journey home and the roads i ride on near me national speed limit country roads and not all that safe in icy conditions. Plus i know this will just seem like another and most lame excuse not to get out but I have nothing to wear for cold weather riding, all i have are shorts or jeans and t-shirts so will have to invest in some layers for next winter.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I think you have to have the right mentality to be able to use the turbo lots.

What you cant do is just sit on it and turn the pedals. If you're putting little effort into it - you're probably not even in zone 1 of your training heart rate. I have seen people telling of 6 hour rides on a turbo - I'm sorry - but thats just sitting on a bike twiddling pedals. Its not training.

When used correctly - its fantastic for fitness - but dont think you can just jump on it and expect it to be like outside - you'll prob find you need to concentrate to get your work rate up to the right levels.
  • Ellio
    Yeah I know what your saying. I do like to do interval training and have just got a heart rate monitor/speedo thing to keep an eye on what I am doing and make sure I am in the zone for training.
  • BenS999
    I have seen people telling of 6 hour rides on a turbo

Wow yeah either they sitting still staring at the tv doing nothing or setup the trainer next to an espresso machine! (i kinda like that idea actually! :idea: )

Yes i think to make it worth while you need some sort of training schedule, i will give an example of what i do. This is rough as i dont actually have anything written down but i tend to follow the same the routine on each session.

Total ride 45 minutes to 1:30 depending on how much time i have or how determined i am. Split the time up how you like (longer warm up/ cool down for 1:30 than 45minutes)
    lets say 1hr ride:
    Warm up 10 min Heart rate around 120
    after 10 min up Heart Rate (HRT) to say 150 for 2 minutes then down 120 for three min
    (you have now done 15 min)
    back up to 150 for 2-3 min then rest for remainder so your rest ends at 20 minutes,
    continue like this until you get to 50 minutes alternating your rest and work rate then cool down for 10 minutes at 120 - 130. i sometimes take HRT up to 170 or 185 when pushing it, of course i cant hold this for 3 minutes but 1 min 30 secs is ok then i rest for longer.

In your 5 minute 'section' of the hour you could go flat out for 1 min and rest for 4 or medium for 2.5min or low rate for 5 min or anyhting in between, depends on you.

Im sure you can see a pattern emerging, if you feel a bit knackered take an extra minute to rest before pushing it up again. This is a very rough guide line as i dont declare to be personal trainer or anything remotely close but it does break up the ride time and works for me. I do feel stronger for my little regime and it sure helps pass the time on the trainer - oh and some Prodigy/ Chemical Bros or Faithless on the ipod works a treat too! I seem to get my highest HRT when Smack my bitch up comes on! :oops:
    2011 Orange Five Pro
  • ACDCwmb
    ACDCwmb Posts: 225
    I have a Tacx Sirius Magnetic Trainer and use an old wheel with a second hand trainer tyre on it and a brick to prop up the front wheel, takes no time at all to set up in the garage and I've had no problems with it. I've been using it a few times a week now in the evenings and along with swimming is really helping to keep me fit over the winter. Weekends are still reserved for long XC rides though.
    I do sessions with a HRM usually no longer than 40mins, 10min warm up, 20min work and 10min cool down. I have about 10 different sessions to choose from which are a bit more interesting than just turning the cranks for the sake of it and TBH with some music I've never found it boring at all. Even with the garage door open and the temp is below zero outside I still sweat quite a lot so I can imagine what it would be like indoors.
    [url]uttp://farm3.static.flickr.com/2453/3644058624_66a72402ee.jpg/]Hardtail[/url]
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I made a rev counter for my turbo bike to measure what the shaved leg mob call cadence. I do a 40 minute session, 5 minute warm up at 80 revs then I ramp it up every 5 minutes by 10 revs til I get to 120 revs and then hold that for 15 minutes then 5 minutes warm down. Certainly gets my heart pumping which is what I do it for because it doesnt seem to do anything for my offroad riding.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Ellio
    Well I got the trainer at the weekend and after getting the trainer put together the tyre changed and the bike set up I had a go on it last night. I tried it a little bit over the weekend just to see how it felt and want to sure on it but happy to say last night was good. I set everything up to how i like it and apart from the first 5 mins I really enjoyed it. I only did 35mins but felt i would be happy to do more(dinner was ready). Put my heart rate monitor on so could keep and eye on what i was doing and was well away, think the gym will be a bye bye now.
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    I set my £70 CycleOps basic Mag turbo up in the garage. Use treadless tyre to reduce noise. I cobbled together a wooden lectern (basically the remains of a sawn up shelf) which fits into the jaws on my bike repair stand. I use it to hold What Mountain Bike or Cycling Plus. The contraption allows me to flick through the pages as I pedal, keeping me motivated and well informed. Catch up on your reading and learn how to fettle your bike while you're at it.
    Okay, slightly less boring than it once was! :lol: