Box Hill Help Please!

5Thumbs
5Thumbs Posts: 88
edited February 2009 in Routes
My job has just moved me down to Dorking which means I'll be there Mon-Fri. I'm a moderate MTB rider who enjoys trails but nothing too difficult. I'm aware that there are some good trails around here especially around Box Hill but wondered if anyone could recommend a good starting point for an explore?

Just need to get started really and not knowing the area I'm at a bit of a loss.

I'm planning to bring my bike down when the temperature gets back up above freezing again - something to do in the evening rather than blobbing in front of the hotel telly!

Comments

• My first stop would be here:

http://www.redlandstrails.org/trails_getting_to.htm

Not done the area myself but found this in the summer (the what?) when I was planning a day out.

Bob
    2009 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite
    The anything and everything, 'make you an addict if you weren't one already' full suspension mountain bike with miles upon mile of trail-tuned flow.
  • I have heard there is some very good riding around there but can't comment personally. This may be of interest though
    http://www.bikemaps.co.uk/north_and_south_downs.htm
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Whilst there's some riding from Box Hill, the better riding is from Leith Hill - west from Dorking, head up to Coldharbour. There's parking in Coldharbour and countless trails in every direction - it can get pretty busy at weekends judging by the number of Beemers in the car park with roofracks and fat blokes wheezing with £2.5k full-sussers stopping for a drink at the Tower!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Agree with Monty. Leith HIll and Holmbury Hill are superb riding.Do yourself a favour though,do the extra couple of miles and park at Newlands Corner at the top of hill on the A25 before you drop down into Guildford. From here you can take in both hills on a nice loop via the North Downs Way, avoid the traffic at Leith hill and start and finish at a cafe!

Lots of hill pluging so bring your best legs but nothing too technical. Up the anti at Leith Hill itself where you can pick routes from hardcore downhill to much easier routes like Summer Lightning.

These trails are well worth clocking for the summer as well as they can be super fast. I hear we are due a summer sometime in the next 10 years. :lol: