Hi Guys, Newbie Here.

MatthewT1501
MatthewT1501 Posts: 9
edited January 2009 in MTB beginners
Just popped past to say Hi.
Just got myself a cheapo rig from Halfrauds in November.
Been out of MB'ing since 2001, so just getting back into it really, and loosing the beer belly I developed over the last 8 years! :)
I'm doing around 12 miles a day (not a lot I know, but it's my daily commute)
Also taken my stead to Savernake Forest a few times, on the forest trails.. :) (which BTW, was great fun!)

I have a quick Question about food though.
I set off at 7ish every day. It can take anything from 40 mins to an hour to get to work depending on the weather.
Thing is, when I leave having NO breakfast I feel awful by the time I get to work, then have to stuff my face when I get there.
When I have breakfast though, I'm almost throwing up along the route.
I'm having two weetabix things with milk for Brekkie.
Then when we go off road with the bikes we often take choccy bars, and crisps and stuff, but that can't be good riding food can it? I know you can get the energy bars, but are they a fad, or do that actually do some good?
It doesn't seem to keep you going for long.
Then when you run out of energy, it's like your fighting the bike all the way home... :( Which kinda takes the fun out of it.

Cheers.

Matt
There are only 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand Binary, and those that don't.

Comments

• Welcome to the Forum

David
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    A bit of excercise before breakfast is a sure-fire way to burn off body fat and a couple of Weetabix when you get to work will be OK or some porridge if you have time. Try some dried fruit (apricots, pineapple etc) and nuts to eat while riding.

BTW, welcome to the forum.
  • .blitz wrote:
    A bit of excercise before breakfast is a sure-fire way to burn off body fat and a couple of Weetabix when you get to work will be OK or some porridge if you have time. Try some dried fruit (apricots, pineapple etc) and nuts to eat while riding.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Cracking info mate.. I'll bring my weetabix with me to work then tomorrow.. :)

Cheers Guys.
  • AndyBike
    AndyBike Posts: 126
    Hi mate welcome too,

Are you eating your b-fast soon before your journey? this can cause nausea, eat well in advance before you ride see what works for you, if you don’t eat before, which may be why you feel awful, your blood sugar will be low. Try a breakfast without a mix of solid and liquids which some believe can hinder digestion.

I wondered if you are over-training cycling each day after being out of shape for 8 years and if your older its harder to get back to being fit. I liked my real ale for about 4 years, beer belly too, and had to start of doing a couple of laps walking round the local park!!! at lunchtimes and built up slowly from that. If you are doing 60 miles in the week without a rest days then its not surprising you are quickly running out of energy on what I presume are longer harder weekend rides.

I personally think the problem with choccie is that apart from being mostly full of palm oil the sugar energy boost is short lived. MTBers diets are Sh1ter than the average diet so be careful of crap advice like chocolate milk and white bread jam sannies.

Try and eat regular during the day to keep your energy high generally, you body will need fuel to recover between rides rather than just relying on snacks or energy bars on rides, little and often through the day to keep energy up.

Food has good stuff that energy drinks, bars and gels don’t, though these are v good in the right situation (longer rides, races etc) for a boost. There all sorts of tech stuff about complex carbs and carb loading, energy gels but (don’t moan) for most of us a good healthy diet (brown bread, fruit, veg, pasta, quality protein) will give you the energy for rides and ability for your body to recover between rides. Bananas, nuts, dried fruit, are snacks I use.

Hope some of this helps.
  • Hi,

Yes, I eat like 30 mins before a ride, sometimes a little more, so maybe that's what is causing me to feel crap.
    I shall try to eat earlier, and give myself more time to digest the grub... :)

Yeah I'm doing 60 miles a week then out on a weekend ride, both Sat and Sunday in the woods/down the Ridgeway.

I'll grab some Bananas, nuts, dried fruit, etc for the ride this weekend.. :) See How it goes, i'll let you know. Thanks for the advice chaps.

Matt
  • missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    Take bannanas on the way and beforehand, surefire way to boost energy levels and help you get past that damned bendy bus! :P
  • Stay relaxed, keep a cool head and everythink will come together.