Hiya all

jondi
jondi Posts: 152
edited January 2009 in MTB beginners
Brand newbie, I bought a Saracen Mantra the other day, My intention was to ride to work and get fit riding around local areas where i live, I live in south Wales , so have plenty of country side and forests to ride through.
I have browsed the net for several mountain bike sites, having done that and joind here, I might have a go and try a bit more than first intended, Trails n' stuff.

Can my bike cope with much of a pounding ? don't want to kill it.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Hello and welcome!

Yep, is a tough bike if a little heavy. Just keep it well looked after and should be fine.
  • jondi
    yeh is a little heavier than first thought, i will have to drill lots of holes in it to male it lighter ,lol. Still love though
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You wouldn't be the first to do that ;-)

The weight is because of its relative strength at this price point.
  • Welcome to the Forum.

David
  • Welcome Mate
  • missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    Welcome! 8)
  • jondi
    another thing is, my handle bars are quite high almost level with the seat, i have lowered them to the lowest they will go, moving spacers above the stem insted of below. The stem tilts upwards raising them too, should i buy a new stem that is straight and not tilted upwards , if you catch my drift. Or is there another way to have the handle bars lowered ?
  • mellex
    mellex Posts: 214
    Buying a stem with a 0° rise angle will certainly help to reduce the height of the bars but why do you want to do it? Is it a purely cosmetic thing or is the current riding position uncomfortable?
  • jondi
    i would prefer the handle bars lower than the seat, so i am leaning forward more.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Could try turning the stem upside down (so it points down rather than up), you may need to move the spacers back underneath though.

Cockpit feel is a very personal thing, hope you can get it right.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I'd leave it as it is. Mountain bikes are setup differently from road bikes for a reason. Bars lower than your saddle is going tip your weight forward which might result in you going over the bars on a steep downhill. Try and get used to the position first, if you really can't get on with it look to swap the stem (some can be flipped upside down effectively giving you a negative angle).

Also do you have flat bars or riser bars? Bars can be swapped fairly cheaply.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result