Cube Aerial v Giant Defy 2.5

Rhods
Rhods Posts: 400
edited January 2009 in Road beginners
Hi all

Something strange happened when I tried this earlier so I'll try again!

I'll be buying my first road bike shortly on a cyclescheme frommy LBS and have worked my way down to these two.

Sizing etc aside (I seem to get on with both), does anyone have experience of owning either of these.

I appreciate it's a personal decision, but your experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Rhods
    Sorry to ask again, but if anyone who owns an Aerial (or any of its siblings using the same frame) could comment on the ride of the bike and how "stretched out it is", I'd be grateful. Just a bit worried it might be a bit harsh for a first road bike.

Thanks.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Not very familiar with either. Sorry...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Hi,
    I've got a defy 2.5. Not done a lot of miles on it yet but very happy so far.
  • ris
    ris Posts: 392
    i took an aerial on a test ride last summer and found it a bit less relaxed than the specialized allez 09 that i tried at the same time. the spesh was a newer bike, a bit better set up (sharper gear changes that sort of thing) and so i suspect my confidence was higher on it than the aerial. i'd also not riden drops for about 15 years!

i ended up with an 08 allez sport, mainly on cost, but if i was looking for a road bike now i'd definitely think seriously about a cube (peloton or aerial).

i would really recommend finding a stockist and trying it out (mine was at zero-g in bristol), they are great speced bikes, bit different from the giants and speshes and i like cube's colour schemes.

my guess is that the aerial will be a bit more 'race' than the defy, but i am sure there are plenty of adjustments that you can do to to make the cube more relaxed if you feel the need.
  • Rhods
    Aesthetically, I think I've decided on the Cube already!

But. I'd like it to be comfortable enough for longer rides. As I am a newbie to all this, I'd be interested to know what sort of changes to make it a bit more relaxed (if i needed this after a while) I could do?

Thanks again

Rhods
  • ris
    ris Posts: 392
    there is a bikerader article about road bike comfort here.

the ones i was thinking of mainly was the adjustments to the stem; flipping it to begin with, then perhaps trying a different angle or length. you can rotate the bars a bit, or try inserts in the brake levers to bring them nearer the hands.

tyre width and pressure can help with the ride, as can changing the saddle and it's position (forward, back, height, within the sensible range of relationship to the bb). it might not make the bike look like you want it to but the options are there and might be the difference between comfort and agony!

fundamentally the frame will still mean that it has a more 'race' minded but you should be able to make it more comfortable if you need to. i would really suggest a test ride if you can, of both bikes, so that you get the right size and are happy with the handling.
  • Rhods
    Thanks for that Ris, called in my LBS and getting fitted next week.

Just hoping it won't come to putting that funny looking stem on mine!!
  • There was a test of the Giant Defy 2 in one of this month`s bike mags.It was tested against the Spesh Allez sport and it came out top,with the comment that it was the best bike in its price bracket.
    Can`t remember if it was in Cycling Plus or Triathlon 220.....
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo