New to road in North West - looking for events for 2009

exmtber
exmtber Posts: 4
Hi,

joined the dark side last year - out regularly and done a couple of 100s. Planning to do Polkadot in June - what other events would you recommend for Spring 2009 ?

Cheers

Exmtber

Comments

• Ive a dream a titanium machine.
    Garlic MARMITE and milklesstea exponent.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Dave Lloyd Mega Challenge :wink:
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    exmtber wrote:
    Hi,

joined the dark side last year - out regularly and done a couple of 100s. Planning to do Polkadot in June - what other events would you recommend for Spring 2009 ?

Cheers

Exmtber

Hi Exmtber.....funny I started off on MTB for 4 years before morphing...still think MTBing is very tough and has great enjoyment....

You have a couple in Spring to sign up for.....and if its North England and you dont mind doing North Central aswell.....the Lakeland Loop in April.....Richmond Sportives in May...no chance of the FWC or EdDs.......the Lakeland Loop is a gentler edition to the FWC but stil takes in the Nightmare Pass Combo of Hardknott and Wrynose so could be a great early tester.

http://regonline.activeeurope.com/Check ... tId=660807

..and the Richmond has 3 routes sizes...the biggest being at 100miles spot on and finishing with Fleetmoss the tough way (very difficult) and then onto the toughest and steepest climb in all the Dales...the dreaded Park Rash...great and very cheap at £15....

https://www.sportident.co.uk/entries/ev ... ent_id=171
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    edited January 2009
    I'd agree that it's a good event for the autumn, but exmtber was asking for events in the spring :wink: !

If you fancy doing the odd audax, you could try the 200 km North-West Passage or the 120 km Mini-North-West Passage from Rochdale on 16th February.

I'd highly recommend one of my local events - Spring Into The Dales from Hebden Bridge on 20th April. It's only 110 km but it has over 2,200 m of fine Yorkshire and Lancashire hills to tackle so it is still a challenge. (I don't mean it's one of my events - Chris Crossland organises it. I mean that it starts from my town :wink: )

I think that the event formerly-known-as The Kirklees Sportive is being held again this year on Sun 26th April from Huddersfield. It's about 85 miles and takes in a lot of big hills, including Holme Moss. I don't think that there is a website for this event yet. I've just emailed the organiser of last year's event to try and find out more.
  • r3 guy
    r3 guy Posts: 229
    i am also in the north west where are you based?

By the way another x mtber here
  • robbe
    robbe Posts: 22
    Im doing the Le Terrier, since it's local to me and i can ride sections as a training to ride. Comments after last years were good and with 2 steep climbs in the first 10 miles, with the 1st being from the start out of lancaster to Quernmore. and 2nd one being the run up from Quernmore to Jubile Towers.
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ wrote:
    I think that the event formerly-known-as The Kirklees Sportive is being held again this year on Sun 26th April from Huddersfield. It's about 85 miles and takes in a lot of big hills, including Holme Moss. I don't think that there is a website for this event yet. I've just emailed the organiser of last year's event to try and find out more.
    I've just received a reply to my email. Kirklees council is not sponsoring the event this year, but it will go ahead, probably under a different name and with different sponsorship. I'll be signing up for it.
  • ColinJ
    r3 guy wrote:
    i am also in the north west where are you based?

By the way another x mtber here
    Just been and had a look at some pictures of Cervelo R3s - nice!

Where in the NW are you r3 guy? A bunch of us from the BR and CC (CycleChat) forums get together two or three times a year in this area and you'd be welcome to come along...

Here's one I made earlier! :wink:
  • r3 guy
    r3 guy Posts: 229
    based in Lancaster - But will travel ! :wink:

Would love to join you
  • Im doing the terrier too but expect to only do the 45 mile ride as I am currently in the process of convincing my missus she is up to it. :roll:
    Ive a dream a titanium machine.
  • Ive a dream a titanium machine.