Chain, Cogs, Wheels, Questions.

Condormoment
Condormoment Posts: 29
edited January 2009 in Road beginners
Four months on a road bike (zero before) and loving every single minute. Things coming together, fitness, speed, road awareness. Anyhow, a couple of questions, if anyone can help me out I'd appreciate it.

1. Chain tools. I'm running a Campag 10sp chain and want to take it off for maintenence/easier cleaning but the Campag tools are a bit steep. Any tool alternatives, or should I get a different make of chain and tool (if so, any suggestions?).
2. Big to small cog or vice versa. Sometimes it takes (what feels like) eons for the front shifter to swap cogs (Mirage), is this normal, if not any tips? It's been serviced recently.
3. Wheels. Thinking about upgrading the wheels (Khamsins) to something lighter, I'm a tall bloke @ 13.5 stone in old money, so I need a bit of strength in any new wheelset. Thinking around £350-500. Any suggestions/experiences? (I know this topic is well covered elsewhere, sorry).
It's a Condor Baracchi/Mirage.

Thanks.

Comments

• yer gran
    yer gran Posts: 186
    Glad you're enjoying the bike.
    Heres a VERY personal opinion (especially as I use Shimano).
    1. For donkeys years I've used SRAM (previously Sachs) chains. Works on both systems. Has the easy link system, however, I find it better to clean the chain in situ with muc-off, (tried the Hope equivalent a month ago; fairy liquid would be cheaper and more effective).
    2: Shifting. Worth an upgrade. Dont fall into bikeshop trap of 'classy' mechs, crap shifters. The shifting mechanism is ALL at the handlebar end. If upgrading is on your radar then invest in what you desire at the cockpit end - top 3 marques from any manufacturer will generally work very well even with more basic front and rear mechs. The braking will also be transformed. A damn good investment.
    3. Wheels. Theres a big choice. I'm traditional with home built open pros on ultegras. Best to get a different thread going on these. Your LBS (condor?) may try to clear old stock onto you. Get better/impartial advice here.
    Good luck.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Don't take your chain off to clean it, it is a waste of time and unless you have a powerlink it is asking for trouble. A paintbrush and degreaser will do all the cleaning it needs in situe,

Try giving the front mech a good clean, if that doesn't work check the condition of the inner cable. Mirage shifters should be slick in operation.
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    The good thing with this forum is that you get a difference of opinion. :lol:
    I'm in the remove chain and clean camp. I only use the sram powerlink on 8 and 9 speed chains so have no experience with the 10 speed variety. I simply undo the link remove the dirty chain clean it in an old margarine tub , dry , refit and lube. This also makes cleaning the rest of the chain area easier, well, I think it does anyway. And for what it's worth I remove the chainset at least once a year to clean as well.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Only once a year John. :lol:
  • trickeyja
    trickeyja Posts: 202
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    Don't take your chain off to clean it, it is a waste of time and unless you have a powerlink it is asking for trouble.

I wish I had known this before I tried! It was more trouble than it was worth last time I tried to take it off. I couldn't locate the chain link back together and when I finally managed to the chain tool broke and I damaged the chain. Ended up having to buy a new one :roll: