knee and elbow pads ???

DC01
DC01 Posts: 333
edited January 2009 in MTB rides
in search of advice what knee and elbow pads to get. i ride aggressice trail and just want something to take the sting away when i throw myself down the ground. i ve looked at mainly 661 stuff. i.e chicken/veggie,evo and kyle straits. and any advice on sizes would be helpful. according to various web sites im L arm and XL leg. but im not sure as how the 661 stuff comes up.

Comments

• stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    try posting in the buying advice section you might get some more intrest :lol:

welcome to the forum :)
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I have the 661 kyle straits for my knees and the chicken wings for my arms.

The kyle straits are very highly recommended by me, I really like them. Loads of protection given and very comfortable to wear. I don't really notice any inconvenience while wearing them, obviously they're gonna get a bit sweaty on hot summer days but they're a lot better than I was expecting (They also make great knee warmers on the cold days).

The chicken wings are pretty good too. I've had a few falls where elbow has landed quite hard and they definitely took some sting out of the fall. They feel a bit tight and annoying to wear but think this is due to poor sizing on my account (see below).

On the sizing front, I found the knee pads came up as expected but the elbow pads a little on the small size. It was hard to know exactly where on the arm to measure your self and whether with a straight or bent arm (increasing size of bicep).
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I've got some Race Face Urban knee pads that are intended to be worn under jeans but they work just as well with baggies, especially this time of year. Protection-wise they're not in the same league as the Kyle Straits but they are mega comfortable. The XL size is 18" at the top and 15" at the bottom.
  • DC01
    DC01 Posts: 333
    thanks. realised id put it in wrong section after i had posted it. and thanks for the advice. was edging towards that set up anyway. just wanted other peoples views. thanks again.