Tour Down Under and Eurosport

josame
josame Posts: 1,162
edited January 2011 in Pro race
Is it covered?
'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    It's on Sky Sports. The exact details aren't on their website yet though.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    RichN95 wrote:
    It's on Sky Sports. The exact details aren't on their website yet though.
    But is it covered on Eurosport :wink: ? (Some of us don't have Sky Sports)
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    Thanks
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    sky doing cycling? eww. wonder who they'll get to commentate?
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    It's always been shown on Sky. Usually with Phil rocking the mic.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    that'll explain why I've never seen it then!!!! :lol:
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • iainf72
    liversedge wrote:

Ever seen the ENECO tour?

Imagine that. With nice weather. And flatter. And the commentry in part written by the local tourist authority.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    iainf72 wrote:
    liversedge wrote:

Imagine that. With nice weather. And flatter. And the commentry in part written by the local tourist authority.

...And no ITT to actually choose a winner.

...And a 30min break on the 1st day that puts 90% out of contention...

Strava is not Zen.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    And a theme tune that makes you want to rip off your ears and eat them.

FEEL THE RUSH?!

Erm, no thanks, I won't if you don't mind.
  • I reckon its a pretty well run race for that time of year ( every race before mid feb is a glorified training run ) but that theme song is absolute shite. Why do they even need one? This years race is not going to be the same old script, last years would have either put got Pro Tour and didnt have time to alter the course to suit.
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    afx237vi wrote:
    And a theme tune that makes you want to rip off your ears and eat them.

FEEL THE RUSH?!

Erm, no thanks, I won't if you don't mind.

That's my biggest gripe with the TdU - that blasted music. I don't think they have ever updated it.

I can tell you that come the Sunday night of race's end, you're singing it in your sleep. I don't know how Andre Greipel coped going onto the podium so much in 2008. He earnt that jersey that is for sure!
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Surely every stage ending in a sprint is the worst thing about it no? lol
  • Next On:Monday 19th January 9:00pm - Sky Sports Xtra
    no mention of any other channel
  • leguape
    leguape Posts: 986
    iainf72 wrote:
    liversedge wrote:

Commentary is always dictated to by the media route book. Duffers happily admits it now and again. It's usually a massive tome telling you everything you never cared to know about every cowshed, field and one-hut hamlet along the route. And I'd imagine that it's an absolute godsend to commentators on the quiet days when email and the internet has packed up and you can't do audience questions.

In fact most big sporting events with broadcast coverage will have one. They'll contain profiles of all the competitors, usually with their recent record and notable achievements and venue info.
  • Last year the race was the first cycling event broadcast in HD.

The pictures were glorious, didn't make up for a soporific race though.

You could pretty much make out what the Aussies were barbequeing as the helicopter flew by.

Shrimp.

Chef in too-short shorts, humungous beer belly, blue beer can in hand...

Sorry couldn't resist

8)
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    "Liggett will also be recording daily "Armstrong updates" during the Tour"
    :roll:

Strava is not Zen.
  • afx237vi
    leguape wrote:

Commentary is always dictated to by the media route book. Duffers happily admits it now and again. It's usually a massive tome telling you everything you never cared to know about every cowshed, field and one-hut hamlet along the route. And I'd imagine that it's an absolute godsend to commentators on the quiet days when email and the internet has packed up and you can't do audience questions.

In fact most big sporting events with broadcast coverage will have one. They'll contain profiles of all the competitors, usually with their recent record and notable achievements and venue info.

That's true, and it's fair enough if there's nothing to talk about during live coverage... but it's different to what Iain is referring to. Races like the TDU and the Tour de Langkawi have specific segments, separate from the usual race commentary, where Ligget or whoever will read out a pre-prepared script complete with video sections of a tour round a vineyard or a visit to a tourist attraction or whatever.

It's pure unadulterated product placement... but ya gotta pay for the race somehow, so whatever.
  • afx237vi
    calvjones wrote:
    "Liggett will also be recording daily "Armstrong updates" during the Tour"
    :roll:

In which Phil sits in front of a computer screen frantically clicking refresh on Lance's twitter page?
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Just got Sky HD on Saturday - looks like I got it just in time! :D
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    Yep, I have set the Sky HD to record all the programmes this coming week - I loved the picture detail, but the highlights were too short at only half an hour as by the time you have the pre race preamble and the tie-up spiele at the end there wasn't much time to show the racing and you barely saw Lance in the race, just a lot about him at the beginning - but if pandering to that story gets new cycling fan bums on seats than thats okay by me. I am sure the amount of TV time he commands will increase as the Tour proper starts Tuesday. My Aussie riding buddies must be kicking themselves - they could have been there watching it roadside!
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • iainf72
    felgen wrote:
    Yep, I have set the Sky HD to record all the programmes this coming week - I loved the picture detail, but the highlights were too short

Looking at the Sky EPG it's not being broadcast in HD. Press the i button and if it's an HD broadcast it will say "HD"
  • paulc33
    paulc33 Posts: 254
    What channel are the highlights on then? As I can't find it any where?
    2015 Specialized S-Works Tarmac - Ultegra Di2 (7.0kg)
    Kinesis Aithein - Ultegra mechanical (7.3kg)
    Kinesis Maxlight Xc130 - xt/ xtr (11.3kg)

spin to win!
  • Langers
    Langers Posts: 95
    Sky sports 2, 3 & 4