Afan Forest W2 trail. How hard?

Gwaredd
Gwaredd Posts: 251
edited January 2009 in MTB rides
Hi all. After doing the SPAM on Sunday, I've got the itch to go out & try something else. Been recommended the Afan forest & the Skyline trail & W2 have caught my eye.

Will be going with a few mates & we regularly do 25 - 30 mile routes every week & I found the SPAM ride not too difficult, so what I want to know is, should I stick to the Skyline or go straight into the W2? How hard is it exactly?

Any input appreciated!

Cheers,

Gwaredd.

Comments

• Gwaredd,

As trails go Afan is topnotch.

I stayed in the campsite one weekend last summer so managed to do the Skyline on the Sat and the W2 on the Sun.
    Both were excellent, but if memory serves I thought the W2 was slightly better. Essentially it combines the White and the Wall trails (hence Wx2) and the White's final descents in particular were my favourite.
    Other riders dont rate or dont bother to do the ride because there is a long boring fire-road linking the 2 halves.
    In terms of difficulty: I am not super fit, have decent stamina and rode the trails on a creeky cannondale hardtail (80mm susp). So whilst they are hard work the are not impossible for the average joe. (Big(ish) tyres are a must).

My advice - Do W2 in preference over the Skyline
    or better still stop over for a weekend at Glyncorrwg and do both.
  • Gwaredd
    Gwaredd Posts: 251
    Brilliant. Just what I wanted to hear!

Looking to go March/April time before it gets too hot (ha ha) & busy.