Sign of the times, more bikes sold that cars

chuckcork
chuckcork Posts: 1,471
edited February 2009 in Campaign
OK so its not pommyland but the land of Oz, where apparently it never rains or gets cold (in the British imagination), but the stats for the last year apparently have it that more bikes were sold than cars!

Story here: http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/stor ... 52,00.html

Given that Australian distances are large and its frequently too hot to move outside of airconditioning, can I say it would be nice if the same happened in the UK where the weather is comparitively moderate and the distances usually small?
'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....

Comments

• The distances cycled are comparable. The majority of the Australian population still live in clear urban areas. They are, however, more health conscious in many ways. Your average Australian isn't shocked by the ideaof physical effort and sport isn't something they used to do at school.
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    The distances cycled are comparable. The majority of the Australian population still live in clear urban areas. They are, however, more health conscious in many ways. Your average Australian isn't shocked by the ideaof physical effort and sport isn't something they used to do at school.

I guess that is why obesity rates in Oz are comparable to the US....and most won't live in "urban" areas, it would be suburban and totally reliant on the car for transport.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • I wish it never rains here.. been raining all week!

This story caught my eye as well. What was even more interesting was it was the ninth consecutive year. 1.4m to 1m though is a big margin and I guess it shows how we are cutting back on expenses in these uncertain times.

Good for overall fitness and the cycling industry though, so its all good!