Proposal: Forum ride, West of Scotland

Crapaud
Crapaud Posts: 2,483
I touched on this on another thread. In it I suggested this route for a forum ride:
    Dumbartom - Rest-and-be-thankful - Hells Glen - DumbartonIt's 139.4 Km with 1713m ascent, so fairly challenging.

It's a target for me and I'll be doing it, anyway, in April / May, so I thought I'd float the idea and invite everyone to join me. To keep it as open to as many as possible I'd suggest the 18th of April or the 10th / 17th of May (all Sundays) as it fits in with my plans around then. Depending on the level of interest we can hammer out the details later.

I know it's a bit early in the year, but there are a lot of newbies on the forum and it'll give any that are interested time to train up to the distance (I'll need to do this my self).

So, what do you think? Interested?
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill

Comments

• boyfriday
      boyfriday Posts: 103
      Hey,

I am interested - so much so that you can count me in for this.

I have been out that way before several times and really enjoy riding in that area - my friends and i normally start in Balloch, taking in the Rest and Be Thankful and Hells Glen, before heading through Strachur to Dunoon for the ferry to Gourock.

It sounds like a great route that you have planned though - i might even give it a bash before the big day.

I look forward to it.

Thanks
    • whyamihere
      whyamihere Posts: 7,712
      I'd be up for it so long as I could find some incredibly cheap accommodation. The train ticket and accommodation would likely bankrupt me otherwise.
    • grantus
      grantus Posts: 690
      Yes, put me down for this seeing as you are avoiding the A82 along Loch Lomondside!
    • Crapaud
      boyfriday wrote:
      ... I am interested - so much so that you can count me in for this. ...
      Good man! First post and we've got a pacemaker. :D
      grantus wrote:
      Yes, put me down for this seeing as you are avoiding the A82 along Loch Lomondside!
      Yeah, I'm not too keen on cycling along the A82.
      whyamihere wrote:
      I'd be up for it so long as I could find some incredibly cheap accommodation. The train ticket and accommodation would likely bankrupt me otherwise.
      Hang on, are you not from deepest, darkest Englandland? :shock: I hadn't considered the possibility - I'll give it some thought.
      A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
    • richara3
      richara3 Posts: 153
      It looks like you are starting close to Bowling. Which you can get a train to from Queenstreet station in Glasgow and you can get to glasgow from just about anywhere so there should be plenty of cheap accomodation within a decent radius of the start... I will keep ane eye on this thread as I am quite keen to do the run but may not be up to the distance/ hills/pace and will wait till nearer the time to decide.

Andy
    • Crapaud
      richara3 wrote:
      It looks like you are starting close to Bowling. ...
      If you zoom right in it's actually Dumbarton East station. I'm pretty sure that you can also get a train from Glasgow Central low level. I'll check nearer the time, for those who wish to know.