Bent Frame/Fork!

si. d
si. d Posts: 52
edited January 2009 in The workshop
I have a massive dilema, any help is much appreciated.

I have a an old Raleigh road bike, which has served me well on the commute and I love it dearly. However, a really helpful chap pointed out to me today that it's wonky! I had a good look and he's right, it looks as though the fork is twisted to one side.

I hadn't noticed it before but then I wasn't looking for it, now I think about it, it is a bit twitchy at times. I have no idea how this happened.

My options seem a bit limited. I noticed chainreaction have a Park Tool Frame/Fork Straightener for ~£60- which looks cheaper than a new fork, but I can't imagine I'd use it often. Does anyone have any experience with these? Is it a good idea?
FCN- 4 with Laser designator sights

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Firstly, are we talking about the front fork or the frame? If it's the fork, I'd replace it. Pretty difficult to get it aligned properly due to a lack of reference points. A new fork can be had for a lot less than the price of the straightener.

If it's the frame, and assuming it's steel, you can cold set it. Over to Sheldon: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html