Quantocks any technical riding?

busta gonad
busta gonad Posts: 162
edited April 2009 in MTB rides
Had a wee blast around the Quantocks over the hols, fantastic scenery, with some pretty fast trails, but was quite suprised at the lack of any technical features, are there any hidden cheeky descents i should know about, with a little sparkle!

Comments

• Hello,

Quantocks is great and does indeed have some decent downhill sections. Near to Lydeard Hill Carpark there is 'Triscombe' downhill trail. Man made steep downhill through trees with some BIG jumps.

Further across there's 'The Chimney' which leads down to 'Greatwood' (fast, windy gulley shaped tech ride)

Not to good with describing location but I suggest just exploring. Starting off from 'Lydeard Hill Carpark' is always good..
    Paul
  • Cheers for that, i will check those out the next time i'm at the outlaws, sounds good.
  • There are loads of DH tracks in Great wood. I'd park at Triscombe Stone to access them.
    The Combes West of Great Wood are also wonderful descents, although more xc singletrack style.
  • There is a hidden wealth of technical bits, downhills and open tracks on the Quantocks.
    You could spend days up there and only scratch the surface.
    You may want some local knowledge to find the best bits fast.
    Try
    http://www.mountainbikecrazy.com
    Ride it hard, if you fall off, get back up and do it again.
  • Mr Crazy bonkers, i find mtbing tame enough as it is without being "guided" like a f**ing sheep.
    Ta but no thanks!
  • It's not a case of being guided like a sheep . You can spend days trying to find the best bits of the hills and still miss them all, but I suppose that's your choice.
    Have fun :)
    Ride it hard, if you fall off, get back up and do it again.
  • konanige
    konanige Posts: 115
    I agree with you Mountain bike crazy, once youve dropped down to the bottom of the wrong combe once or twice you learn to appreciate local knowledge, or you get really really fit!
  • fred1star
    fred1star Posts: 428
    Thats half the fun... exploring new areas and finding the bits you like and don't like.
    09 - Santa Cruz Heckler
    03 - Trek 8500
    95 - P7 (Dead, but I loved it)
    Year dot - Alpine Stars CR300 - Still going strong...
  • busta gonad
    busta gonad Posts: 162
    Sorry Mr crazy i was probably a little harsh there, i really like studying the map for ascents/descents and picking the brains of the knowledgeble, as there always seems to be somebody willing to pass on info to like minded individuals, even if there is nothing to gain.
    To me the journey of discovery is just as important as a quick fix destination.
  • merlie
    merlie Posts: 276
    I've just spent a week in Exmoor - got out most mornings with the little guide book on the trails - I suggest getting the guide book - south west mountain biking by Nick Cotton and also getting an OS map to go with it... We stayed in a Village called Timberscombe - I made a mistake of cycling to a start points of one of the rides at Wheddon Cross - didnt know it was up hill all the way there ... ran out of time to do the whole route - but at least the 1st mile or so was great ... I would also alow for a lot more time for rides on my next trip - my rides were cut short by having to report back to base and do the family thing.
    Next time I would spend more time studying maps and packing a lunch.
    Also there aint much in the way of mobile phone reception !
  • sharki
    sharki Posts: 14
    Most of the technical trails aren't on the map, so you'll be exploring alot and wasting time potentially doing the not so good bits, that's fine for locals but not for occasional visitors....guides are the best way to experience the best bits and i do alot of guiding up there.

South of the triscombe - cockercombe road has a wealth of DH trails, lots keep popping up at present there's about 10 runs, from 90sec to 3-4mins,