Can i use WD40

ste123
ste123 Posts: 16
edited January 2009 in MTB beginners
Hey,
I was wondering wether i could use WB40 on my Rochsox dart 2 fork. Im new to mountain biking and i was wondering if it would help. Any answers greatly appreciated.Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what do you want it to do?

all it is is a water displacer.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ste123
    to make the fork more bouncy really. because when im riding after a while it seems to become very rigid sooo i was wondering wether it could help
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    to answer the first part of the question NO do not even go there.

have you read the manual? (downloadable from Srams webby)

turn the preload off. make sure the lock out is off and wind off the rebound
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ste123
    ok thanks for your help
  • I use Gt85 on the top part of the forks, but dont allow that or WD to run down into the fork seals. Spray it on to a wrag first. It does sound as if the problem is more to do with pre load though. Good luck mate
    Another tree...another cracked rib!!
  • it could be the cold? the dart 3 on my bro's GT was as solid as a mutherhucker when i took it for a spin the other day. was ok once i got it back inside and warmed up.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Lube seals with teflon oil or fork oil. That is all.
  • bigbenj_08 wrote:
    it could be the cold? the dart 3 on my bro's GT was as solid as a mutherhucker when i took it for a spin the other day. was ok once i got it back inside and warmed up.

im having the same problem with my dart 3's aswell!! my mates suntour mz comps are working fine tho! :evil:
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    to make the fork more bouncy really.
    You don't want to make the forks bouncy, you want to make it softer.
    For bouncy put a Dart 1. :lol:
  • Jumanji
    Jumanji Posts: 25
    Can someone please recomend a good brand fork oil as i was recomended using a teflon based lubricant bot i've been lightly lubing with TF2 aerosol spray which is also a water dispersor. I don't want to keep using this if it aint good all be it i use it very lightly.
  • wysiwyg
    wysiwyg Posts: 7,897
    Stendec.
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    edited January 2009
    I read this in MBUK and it seems to really help:

With a clean bike -

Smear or what-have-you some chain around the fork seals.

Cycle (I.E. Bounce up and down) the forks a few times. This should leave you with a sharp ring of lube above the stanctions with mud and shit in it ("pulled" up from the seals).

Wipe off the lube throughly.

Spray the stanctions with bike spray and polish with a cloth.

Gives your forks some of the "just serviced" plushness. Obviously wont fundementally change the way your forks work, but does wonders for mine.
  • nicklouse wrote:
    what do you want it to do?

all it is is a water displacer.

Not true. All liquids to some degree will lubricate until they are displaced. Water for example can be a lubricant. Alcohol will lubricate until it displaces and evaporates. Alcohol is therefore a piss poor lubricant.

Likewise all lubricants can displace water.

I wouldn't use ED40 to lubricate the fork leg stanchions. I'd use something synthetic i.e. non mineral oil based e.g. Finishline Wet.

The problem with WD40 is that it tends to thin thicker lubricants fluids found in forks. The damping fluid is also the lubricating medium in a lot of forks now I believe? Hence why some will recommend turning the bike upside down to lubricate fork seals and such...
  • Just for info on wd40 follow the link below and make your own mind up where to use it.. I have moved on to tf 2, lbs recomended for forks and pretty much most things apart from chains, using it around the house etc now instead of wd 40 find it does most lube jobs better

http://bicycletutor.com/no-wd40-bike-chain/
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    WD40 should not be put anywhere near a fork, and to be honest, the same for TF2. They are too thin, penetrate through the seals and can cause them to swell.

Teflon chain oil or fork damping fluid on the seal. Depress fork, wipe of excess. Repeat until clean.