new bike

whitesettler
whitesettler Posts: 8
edited January 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi FOLKS
Hope everyone had a good christmas and wish everyone all the best for 2009
My sholder is on the mend after my excursion over the handlebars of my Globe Sport
The bike is minced. so i was thinking of changing from a 700 wheeled hybrib to a basic
MTB IVE seen the cycling mags write up on the Carerra Kraken and for what i want and the price seems to be ok i just think the heavier and sronger frame would suit me a bit better being of the larger rider i can still fit my panniers to it and it has got lock outs for the road.
Any one tried this bike.
Regards
Kirk :shock:

Comments

• Welcome to the Forum.

David
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    Sure theres quite a few with Krakens on the site.

Welcome.
  • I bought one of these for my better half last year. Female spec (seems to be a soft saddle and no other difference). It has great components for the price and the Suntour fork seems ok. She doesn't really give it much of a battering but the bike seems sturdy enough. It was 1/3 off at Bikehut when purchased so was much cheapness. Lokk out for special offers.
    There are some great web deals from other outlets and the test section in this site is excellent for info and reviews.
    Tall n skinny
  • Chevie
    Chevie Posts: 71
    Hi mate not sure how much the Kraken's are goin for but i was advised on goin for this bike last week by guys on the forum an for this sale price i thought it was pretty good, people think its got good components an i've not seen a bad review on it yet, some one said the Tora forks are a good fork too

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... tVersion=1

Got it today shame thits a bit slippery out there or i'd been out on it already
  • missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    edited January 2009
    Welcome to the forum!

Dependent on current offers at Halfords their Carrera range can be a corking buy, I bought a Carrera Vulcan dirt cheap a few years back and have been upgrading parts over the years - its a decent enough frame with a good gearset and cranks - it would be worth upgrading the forks to a more "sustainable" model if you were to do heavier mountain biking.
  • Welcome to the forum