position help

balchy88
balchy88 Posts: 108
edited January 2009 in MTB beginners
should the seat be higher than the handlebars on an hardtail? level? or lower? i want to know if i remove spacers from my handlebars will this improve control?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Whatever feels best is the answer: experiment!

Higher bars usually improves control, but depends on other factors too.
  • balchy88
    balchy88 Posts: 108
    i put some 130mm forks on, but there is only a 4mm difference from the xcr 120mm, just feel as most of the weight is at the back and im not getting the most out of the forks
  • Do you sit down a lot? If you stand up you can get your weight further forward and use the forks more.
    You may also find that the springs are different weights, so you aren't getting the travel as you did on your old forks. i.e. these forks are stiffer so move less.
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    it depends, is your seat at the correct height? leg slightly bent when at the bottom of pedal stroke?, my bars are lower then seat. The more fork travel you add, the higher the front end will be, will slower your steering.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Do you have any spacers under the stem? you could try taking one or more out, see how it feels.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs