Monks Road, Glossop.

Tonymufc
Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
This is a thread aimed towards Manchester/Derbyshire based forum users. Today I road up monks rd, Glossop. By ride, what I mean is I got half way up this bloody monster and had to stop for a breather. I did get back on and complete it but the bloody thing was hard going. I'm trying to include this hill in my rides as preperation for the sportives I want to do.I'm not that bad a climber but this was something else. Has anyone else gone up this and had the same experience. Or am I the only struggler. Cheers Tony.

Comments

• a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    yeah, nice climb that upto chunal, about 20% I think.

there's a steeper one not far from there, gorsey brow, steepest climb I've done so far!

905669_0f3eff54.jpg

only about half a mile but thats the easy bit at the bottom!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • I live in Broadbottom, a little further back up Mottram Road than the photo Ant has posted.

Maybe I need to spend my evenings riding up and down there.....

Is Monks Road Charlesworth not Glossop?
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Tonymufc wrote:
    This is a thread aimed towards Manchester/Derbyshire based forum users. Today I road up monks rd, Glossop. By ride, what I mean is I got half way up this bloody monster and had to stop for a breather. I did get back on and complete it but the bloody thing was hard going. I'm trying to include this hill in my rides as preperation for the sportives I want to do.I'm not that bad a climber but this was something else. Has anyone else gone up this and had the same experience. Or am I the only struggler. Cheers Tony.

Are you using low enough gears? It isn't a long climb altho' it is 20%. It might be steeper from the B-bottom side than from the Chunal side. Maybe ride up Chunal and then turn onto Monks Rd? Your workout will be longer at a lesser gradient.
    M.Rushton
  • Tonymufc
    I live in Broadbottom, a little further back up Mottram Road than the photo Ant has posted.

Maybe I need to spend my evenings riding up and down there.....

Is Monks Road Charlesworth not Glossop?

Yeah I suppose it is Charlesworth. I approached it from the A57, turn right on to the A626 towards marple, then left at the cenotaph and right onto Monks Rd. I did it using 39/27. I probably should be able to get over it in one go using them gears but I'm a bit out of practice cliimbing hills that steep.
  • Tonymufc
    a_n_t wrote:
    yeah, nice climb that upto chunal, about 20% I think.

there's a steeper one not far from there, gorsey brow, steepest climb I've done so far!

905669_0f3eff54.jpg

only about half a mile but thats the easy bit at the bottom!

I'll have some of that mate. Any chance you can give me the exact directions of how to get there. I'll probably have thet same experience but I'm a sucker for a bit of suffering aswell as being a firm believer in that the only way to improve on these types of climbs is to keep on riding them. Like the man said NO PAIN, NO GAIN. :D
  • a_n_t
    Tonymufc wrote:
    . I did it using 39/27. I probably should be able to get over it in one go using them gears but I'm a bit out of practice cliimbing hills that steep.

once it gets over 20% i'll be in 34:26/29! so you've not done bad!!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • a_n_t
    Tonymufc wrote:
    [ Any chance you can give me the exact directions of how to get there.

basically, where you turned left off the A626 for monks rd you want to do a right instead down long lane, this takes you down a hill to a narrow bridge past a viaduct [i think], theres a short climb and you'll see the bridge in the picture, turn right when you go under it and feel the pain!!!

link > http://www.multimap.com/s/lC5nuGqx
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • Tonymufc
    a_n_t wrote:
    Tonymufc wrote:
    [ Any chance you can give me the exact directions of how to get there.

basically, where you turned left off the A626 for monks rd you want to do a right instead down long lane, this takes you down a hill to a narrow bridge past a viaduct [i think], theres a short climb and you'll see the bridge in the picture, turn right when you go under it and feel the pain!!!

link > http://www.multimap.com/s/lC5nuGqx

Cheers A_N_T, me thinks me will try that tomorrow as the legs feel really good today with no soreness. P.s. thanks for the vote of confidence I didn't feel very good yesterday going up that thing. But like I said I don't mind a bit of suffering. 8)
  • a_n_t
    no problem, let us know how you get on. I'd come with you but i'm off work with the flu so I dont feel like climbing our stairs let alone that thing!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • Tonymufc
    Most definately will do mate. Hope you feel better soon mate. :)
  • Used to live in Manchester and ride it regularly.
    Monks road up Charlesworth is a hard climb by any standard. I reckon it gets to 20% at the start. You need good gearing and good legs. I used to climb it with 34 x 23, I think it's a bit on the edge, a 34 x 25 would be more sensible or 39 x 29.
    Anyway it's the same gear I used for this little monster here

http://ridewithugo.xtreemhost.com/scalaro.html
    left the forum March 2023
  • Tonymufc
    So 39/27 was a bit of wishful thinking. It beat me once, but trust me I'm a determined person and it won't beat me again. Next time I'm gonna kick its ASS!!!
  • Tonymufc wrote:
    So 39/27 was a bit of wishful thinking. It beat me once, but trust me I'm a determined person and it won't beat me again. Next time I'm gonna kick its ASS!!!

39 x 27 is fine for a mile at 15-20%, just need a bit more training and shave off some extra weight if needed.
    left the forum March 2023
  • Tonymufc
    Me thinks me is gonna train like a mofo to beat that beatch. :D