Mini v Brake with Ultegra STI levers

GEPC
GEPC Posts: 123
edited January 2009 in The workshop
This is also poster in road gear and knowhow.

I ride a cyclo cross bike (on one ticross) that I bought second hand. It has a set of avid shorty 6 canti brakes on the back wheel but on the front it has a Shimano Deore Mini V brake.

Obviously the mini V it not made to be used wtih STI levers and that it what I want some advice on. Its really difficult to get it set up correctly as there are no barell adjusters for the fine tuning and the biting point of the brake is almost at the maximum pull of the levers. Have any of you got any tips for making this combo work better or should I just get myself a set of canti's on the front as well?

Thanks.

Comments

• richara3
    richara3 Posts: 153
    My tri cross sport has the mini v brakes also and whilst it feels like the biting point of the brakes is well into the levers travel , I can still lift the rear wheel or lock the front wheel under braking without pulling the lever to the bars. But yes it is an odd feeling. Perhaps having really straight wheels may help you set the pad/rim clearance a little tighter and sort out your lever travel problem
  • Perhaps these might be of interest to you:

http://www.bikeplus.co.uk/cgi-bin/quiks ... iliate_id=
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    I've got a Tricross Sport and the lack of barrel adjuster annoyed me too, so I fitted a pair of these:
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/src/froogle/ ... -18060.htm

Took about five minutes.

Due to the nature of using V brakes with STi levers you do still need to keep the wheels as true as possible in order to get that close bite point but the barrel adjusters make the subsequent process a bit less painful.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I've got the noodles with barrel adjuster on my pompino, but you'll want the travel adjust ones, bit fiddly to set up but well worth the trouble
  • Jamey
    How do the travel adjust ones work then? Do you need two lengths of cable?
  • No, just one cable-

Full instructions and diagrams are on the link above but the brief answer is that the cable loops around the small, centre of the pulley then through a little hole and onto the larger outer pulley. This doubles the pull of the lever.
  • Jamey
    Ah, I see, thank you. And I've just noticed you're another Croydonite. Born and bred?
  • Nearly= born Bromley but lived in Shirley from very young 'til I was 24ish. Now living near Oxted but still commute (yes, by bike) to Croydon.

How about you?

I see you are fellow photography enthusiast! :Dwww.iainmoss.co.uk
  • Jamey
    Hmmm, both into photography, both into bikes, both from the same neck of the woods? This could be the start of something beautiful ;)

I was born in Ashford (Middx/Kent) but then lived in Feltham until I was one and after that it's been in and around Croydon (Sanderstead until I was ten, then Kenley until I left home) ever since. Now living in South Croydon just down the road from GB (Geoffrey Butler) cycles.
  • Living 'just down the road from GB Cycles' must be great in itself!

I ride past there every morning & evening; I'm the skinny one with a black bike, red top & red helmet! :wink:

This seems to have turned into the Jamey & Iain show! (Sorry everyone else!)
  • Jamey
    Yeah, it's handy having it within walking distance.

I branch off and head towards the Lombard roundabout before I get to GB so probably don't see you in the mornings, but I'm the fat one with the Tricross and two heavy panniers.