Expensive shifters

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,052
edited January 2009 in The workshop
At the moment i'm working on two bike build projects, my tourer with full Campy and my cross with fsa/shimano both are moving on nicely until today, I've been carefully moving/upgrading parts between bikes, when I came to sourcing STI 10 speed shifters.

What gives? these things cost a fortune...! Why?
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• itboffin
    Okay after much searching I can get new 2008 Campy 9 speed shifters for <£70 that's the tourer sorted.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    And to make it worse Shimano STIs are the crappest things Shimano make.

All the decent stuff is reasonably priced but the crappy STi's are really overpriced :?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    The price of STIs really is ridiculous.Ergos aren't that bad.

By the way, I may be selling a set of 9 speed Xenon Ergos in a couple of weeks that you could have for £25 posted. Just an idea. ;)
  • itboffin
    whyamihere wrote:
    The price of STIs really is ridiculous.Ergos aren't that bad.

By the way, I may be selling a set of 9 speed Xenon Ergos in a couple of weeks that you could have for £25 posted. Just an idea. ;)

Def. up for that PM me if you decided to sell., thanks
  • whyamihere
    Will do. Got Xenon brakes for sale too...
  • itboffin
    whyamihere wrote:
    Will do. Got Xenon brakes for sale too...

Sir I am an addict, do not tease... Sold!!! :lol:
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    And to make it worse Shimano STIs are the crappest things Shimano make.

All the decent stuff is reasonably priced but the crappy STi's are really overpriced :?
    You REALLY hate Shimano don't you? Its not entirely rational. They aren't terribly overpriced, by comparison to other road groups and they are at least as well engineered and reliable as campy, arguably based on a more sophisticated mechanism.

They aren't servicable. Are Sram's servicable? Are they "crap" too?

They are undoubtedly reliable, 5+ years easily. Actually, I'm using a 9 year old set on my commuter right now. There will always be exceptions and niggles (like rattling Ultegra 9 speeds) but other than "Italian = good, Japanese = mass produced crap" I don't see your reasoning.

Datsun was a loooong time ago.
  • redddraggon
    You REALLY hate Shimano don't you?

I don't know where people get the idea I hate Shimano from. I've got no problem what so ever with Shimano.

They make very good deraillers, chainsets, cassettes, wheels, bars, brakes, stems, seatpost....etc etc.

I only use Shimano pedals, I like their Pro stems/bars/seatposts, and my most bombproof

If I built a TT bike I'd probably use a Shimano groupset, as no STIs are needed.

The old STIs are just a massive fail, but 7900 ones are a step in the right direction.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • always_tyred
    The old STIs are just a massive fail, but 7900 ones are a step in the right direction.
    Why? They reliably change gear for up to about a decade. There are original 8 speeds kicking around still working fine.

(Oh, and I just can't imagine why people think you hate Shimano :wink: )
  • redddraggon
    Why? They reliably change gear for up to about a decade.

It's nothing to do with the reliability. It's all to do with the uncomfortable shape and shifting method.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • always_tyred

It's nothing to do with the reliability. It's all to do with the uncomfortable shape and shifting method.
    But how is that "crap"? They work fine, they are reliable. Some people like the feel and the action, some people don't. Sounds like Campag shifters to me.

Calling them "crap" on this basis is like saying that all music you don't listen to is crap.

Calling them overpriced I agree with, but then the top of the range Record and Red shifters are more expensive than DA just now.
  • itboffin
    erm! hello 321 back in the room this is the 'workshop' not cake stop / commuting, if you're going to go off piste at least involve the OP... ME ME ME :lol:

Let not have a ShimaNO vs Campy debate please, next thing you know we'll be talking a RLj & wearing helmets, tut tut!

:roll:
  • always_tyred
    itboffin wrote:
    erm! hello 321 back in the room this is the 'workshop' not cake stop / commuting, if you're going to go off piste at least involve the OP... ME ME ME :lol:

Let not have a ShimaNO vs Campy debate please, next thing you know we'll be talking a RLj & wearing helmets, tut tut!

Obviously, as an IT boffin, you'll be after the electronic shimano group, right?

BTW - ebay is a fantastic place to pick up STI shifters from at a more reasonable price, for upgrading projects.
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:

Obviously, as an IT boffin, you'll be after the electronic shimano group, right?

BTW - ebay is a fantastic place to pick up STI shifters from at a more reasonable price, for upgrading projects.

As an out of work itboffin ebay was my first stop, I'm still amazed by the complete stupidity of people on ebay who pay more for a used or new unseen item than you would pay in the shops.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990

But how is that "crap"? They work fine, they are reliable. Some people like the feel and the action, some people don't. Sounds like Campag shifters to me.

Calling them "crap" on this basis is like saying that all music you don't listen to is crap.

Calling them overpriced I agree with, but then the top of the range Record and Red shifters are more expensive than DA just now.

Agreed - I could post redddraggon's comment word for word, but about Campy shifters. Each to his own.
  • always_tyred
    biondino wrote:

Agreed - I could post redddraggon's comment word for word, but about Campy shifters. Each to his own.

Yeah, Camag is just so crap.

:wink:
  • itboffin
    I found an adapter which fits onto the rear derailleur which changes the cable pull ratios allowing campy/shimano combinations, has anyone used these devices?
  • whyamihere
    itboffin wrote:
    I found an adapter which fits onto the rear derailleur which changes the cable pull ratios allowing campy/shimano combinations, has anyone used these devices?
    Try the Tour/Expedition board on the roadie bit. Very popular with tourers because the concealed cables of Campag allow bar bags to be used, while using Shimano MTB cassettes and mechs for a wide range.
  • itboffin
    So i've gone for a temp solution of using some old Shimano down tube shifters with R500 brake levers (babies rattles) with a 9 speed Campy crankset and my 27 x 1 1/4" wheels.

Problem is I need a screw on freewheel cassette with as many cogs as possible but I think 7 might be the largest available.
  • croggy
    croggy Posts: 116
    itboffin wrote:

Problem is I need a screw on freewheel cassette with as many cogs as possible but I think 7 might be the largest available.

Is this any good?
    Zenith 8sp freewheel:
    http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php ... b0s112p206
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    itboffin wrote:
    I need a screw on freewheel cassette with as many cogs as possible but I think 7 might be the largest available.

Contradiction in terms :oops: Think you can get 8 speed freewheels but not in C or S, something like mavic.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • itboffin
    It's done, after many hours cleaning the old dérailleurs and tweaking the Shimano SLR brakes I have a rideable tourer, I have some questions about friction shifting that hopefully one of you will be able to answer.

1. How tight should shifters braze-on nut be, I over tighten everything.
    2. What stops the gear shifting up/down again.

Tourer project contains;
    Mercian Audax frame & forks (oddly with 120mm rear axle spacing)
    Campy record headset
    Campy double crankset 9 speed
    Campy bottom bracket
    SRAM 8 speed chain
    Shimano downtube shifters
    Shimano SLR brake levers and brakes (rubbish)

Selle Italia G2 saddle
    Random chrome seat pin
    Campy set post bolt
    ITM quill stem
    Ambrosia handbars

Dura Ace cables :lol:
    Shimano 7 speed freewheel
    Suntour front/rear derailleurs
    Weinmann 27 x 1 1/4" wheels
    Unusual wheels nuts
    Conti ultra sport tyres
    Shimano SPD pedals
    Spokelit lights

It's not pretty but it will do until I can afford a complete Mercian respray and Campagnolo rebuild.

My project still needs;
    Pannier racks & panniers
    Frame pump
    Saddle bag
    Handlebar bag
    Water bottle cages
    lights, lots of em!