Climate Friendly food

nwallace
nwallace Posts: 1,465
edited January 2009 in Campaign
If I was to take this climate protection stuff seriously what foods would I be allowed to eat?

Methane is 21 times worse than CO2 according to an O magazine I got with a booklet order.
Animals produce methane
Rice production produces methane.

That's just covered the staple diet of most of the world.

The ultimate green ambition really is to wipe out the human race.
Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days

Comments

• You've got the right idea, they have a strange idea that we should all return to some halcyon, by-gone era, living in little villages, scraping a living eating turnips and homemade bread from the wheat grown in our own field, whilst blogging each other on our wind & solar-powered laptops.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • nwallace
    Nah Nah,
    Turnip processed by the human digestive system = Methane.
    Therefore can't eat Turnip.
    Do Nellyphants count?

• Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    How does a Young's prawn fair?

I believe they're flown to Thailand in order to be shelled and then flown back to the UK due to the labour costs in Asia supposedly justifying putting them on a 747F.

If crustaceans could rack up Airmiles...
  • nwallace
    Nah, that involves trawling which means killing lots of innocent little fish that the EU won't let the shellfish fleet land.

Actually that's just a stupidly flawed EU policy that is meant to protect fish stocks. Instead the sharks and whales get loads of pre-killed fish.
    Do Nellyphants count?

• unclemalc
    unclemalc Posts: 563
    The trick is to not 'demand' foods that require stupid amounts of transport to get them here. Example: blueberries grown in South America, costing ~£3 a punnet. Nobody wants to pay this so they are sold at half price - a waste of transort costs and energy useage!
    Don't buy them = no demand = less wasted energy in transporting.

It gets complicated tho' because it has been shown to be less 'wasteful' if soft fruit and veg are produced in S Europe and transported here, than if the same things are produced here, out of season, and therefore need inordinate amounts of heat etc to raise them.

Our expectations of what we can use to eat are way beyond what even one generation ago would have expected to find in a supermarket. Therefore if the demand is there, they will supply - at high cost to the consumer AND the environment.
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.
  • nwallace
    There is a difference between the staple diet and luxury diet.

Blueberries from South Africa are in no way staple, Strawbs out of season are a blatant luxury.

Rice in Asia
    Oats or Wheat in Europe

That was staple diet for centuries, and growing Rice emits loads of methane. Just like growing cows does.
    Do Nellyphants count?