St Ives

cyclingpunk
cyclingpunk Posts: 368
I am visiting St Ives in April. Is it worth me lugging a bike down with me and if so can anyone suggest some ride between 10-20 miles. The family are coming and I will not be able to escape for longer than this!

Comments

• Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Which one?
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    Assuming that you mean the one in Cornwall...

I took my bike down to Penzance last June and did a few nice rides in the area. It's a pity that you can't manage more than 10-20 miles though because there are some good loops taking in Mousehole, Sennen Cove etc. Couldn't you get up early and sneak out before everyone else was awake :wink: ? Or how about they drive/catch the bus to Sennen Cove and you ride out to meet them? Ditto other places they might want to go such as St. Michael's Mount, Penzance etc.

Here's a couple of suggestions for shortish loops:

(1) St.Ives -> Zennor -> Boswednack -> Mulfra -> Badger's Cross -> Nancledra -> St. Ives

(2) St.Ives -> Penbeagle -> Balnoon -> Lelant Downs -> St. Erth -> Gwallon -> St. Michael's Mount -> Crowlas -> Nancledra -> St. Ives
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    My home town is St Ives Cambridgeshire which has a very active road club and some brilliant rides around the (flat) countryside
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Thanks guys, I will check out the places you suggest. Maybe I could get 'lost' one day whilst I am there to extend my journy more!
  • schilbach
    schilbach Posts: 101
    Hi - I took my bike to St. Ives last October.

Couple of points to bear in mind:

Sand is everywhere in St. Ives and the surrounding coast roads. It got all over my bike, gears and brakes!

The headwinds on the high roads are really strong - coming straight of the atlantic, bear this in mind when planning routes, I didn't get much mileage done because of them. eg Around Zennor.

The Climb out of St. Ives is significant and is starts straight away. Bear it in mind when you have breakfast etc., not an easy start!

Also a good route out of St. Ives is the other way towards Carbis bay and Portreath, a bit more sheltered and a tailwind.

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... 9621497032
    On balance if the Weather is looking good you'll be alright, the scenery is pretty spectacular!!
  • schilbach
    schilbach Posts: 101
    Hi - I took my bike to St. Ives last October.

Couple of points to bear in mind:

Sand is everywhere in St. Ives and the surrounding coast roads. It got all over my bike, gears and brakes!

The headwinds on the high roads are really strong - coming straight of the atlantic, bear this in mind when planning routes, I didn't get much mileage done because of them. eg Around Zennor.

The Climb out of St. Ives is significant and is starts straight away. Bear it in mind when you have breakfast etc., not an easy start!

Also a good route out of St. Ives is the other way towards Carbis bay and Portreath, a bit more sheltered and a tailwind.

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... 9621497032

On balance if the Weather is looking good you'll be alright, the scenery is pretty spectacular!!