Stem Length

japsy
japsy Posts: 78
edited January 2009 in Road beginners
Hi,

Been thinking about getting a longer stem on my bike. Currently it's 95mm and the bike is a giant scr2 (small frame size).

I want to get a longer reach to get more aerodynamic. Was also told by a club member that I could do with a longer stem. My question is, what sort of length should I be going for for me to notice a difference, 110mm, 120mm?

Been riding 3 years, cover from 40-100 miles. With my current setup, I don't have any problems with back ache.

I know it's pretty much 'how long is a piece of string' type question, but, any input much appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    How about the old rule of thumb,
    Elbow against the front of the saddle
    Fingers stretched out towards the bars
    Other hand placed against end of fingers so you are adding the width of your knuckles
    This should come somewhere near the middle of your bars.

Only a rough guide of course, it dosen't work for me as my fingers reach the bars without adding the width of my knuckles, but then i am not very flexible so like the bars closer.
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    If you want to get more "aero", have you already removed all the spacers from underneath the stem?

I'd lower your stem before you get a longer one.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • japsy
    Thanks topdude, tried your method and my hand extends beyond the bar by about 30 mm. Based on that, 120mm could be worth a try.

Reddragon, originally had four spacers, two removed. If I tried removing the remaining two, I would need the steerer cut wouldn't I?
  • redddraggon
    japsy wrote:
    Reddragon, originally had four spacers, two removed. If I tried removing the remaining two, I would need the steerer cut wouldn't I?

You could just put the spacers on top of the stem
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • japsy
    japsy wrote:

That would mean four spacers on top. Is that ok? Could they not slip out since the only thing holding them is the cap?
  • redddraggon
    japsy wrote:
    japsy wrote:

That would mean four spacers on top. Is that ok? Could they not slip out since the only thing holding them is the cap?

It'd be fine. I'd cut the steerer once you are comfortable with your position though.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Barrie_G
    Barrie_G Posts: 479
    japsy wrote:
    japsy wrote:

You'll also find that the top part of the steerer tube is holding them in place :wink:
  • japsy
    Barrie_G wrote:
    japsy wrote:
    japsy wrote:

You'll also find that the top part of the steerer tube is holding them in place :wink:

Ok, thanks, will give this a shot. Based on the 30mm difference using the technique that topdude suggested, do you think the stem is too short anyway? Is there a reason not to get a longer stem?
  • why not just fit some triathlon style aero bars?
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    95mm stem is pretty short though - you could easily change to a 110 or 120mm - my advice (after you habe lowered it - see how you get on with that) would be to find a bargain basement stem at your local bike shop or online and try a couple of different lengths - you can get stems for around a tenner and get most (6-7quid) of your money back on ebay so testing length is (can be) a fairly low-cost affair.
  • akcc05
    akcc05 Posts: 336
    some says the handlebar should block the view of the front hub when you are on the drops. this is only a rough guide of course. like everyone else says, it ultemately depends on how you feel. why don't you borrow a 110 stem from friends to see how it feels?
  • japsy
    akcc05 wrote:
    some says the handlebar should block the view of the front hub when you are on the drops. this is only a rough guide of course. like everyone else says, it ultemately depends on how you feel. why don't you borrow a 110 stem from friends to see how it feels?

Holy moly, 4.28am! Good night or early start?

I've seen some Bontrager stems in the bike shop for 15 quid so not a huge outlay. Have removed the spacers too so will go for a quick spin later.

Thanks everyone.
  • akcc05
    akcc05 Posts: 336
    japsy wrote:
    akcc05 wrote:

Holy moly, 4.28am! Good night or early start?

I've seen some Bontrager stems in the bike shop for 15 quid so not a huge outlay. Have removed the spacers too so will go for a quick spin later.

Thanks everyone.

neither! i'm not in london at the moment, spending the holiday on the other side of the world that's all.

see if the bike shop would give you your money back if you return it. 15 is not a lot but it can get you a good chain!
  • zacca
    zacca Posts: 25
    The front hub should be in front of the bars when in the drops and in line with the bars when on the hoods.