Mongoose Canaan Comp 2008

Tallchap1
Tallchap1 Posts: 35
edited January 2009 in MTB beginners
Having read the review of the above on Bikeradar I have decided to order one. Have seen a good deal (£685) but I'm now not so sure that the shock on the bike on offer is the RP23 shown in the review.The one on the bike I've ordered seems to be different (no blue adjuster lever on top ) Is RP23 the standard shock or was this particular to the test model. I will be disappointed if not the RP23 but such a good price i won't be too bothered. Is there much difference for a trail riding newbie? This will be my first full sus bike and I can't really justify paying more for a bike.
Tall n skinny

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It comes with a Float R as standard. Could have been a spec change, still a very good shock.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    I think I am right in saying that the Mongoose doesn't really need the ProPedal because of the IDrive suspension system.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • any of the moderators care to add their expertise. Was the test bike specially fitted with the better shock?
    Tall n skinny
  • supersonic
    I'll ask the tester. Though manufacturers often do change specs.

As Balckspur said, the suspension does not really need it, the Float is a great shock.
  • I picked up the '08 Canaan Elite from Winstanley yesterday for a snip at £999 and gave it a good 25+ mile ride across familiar terrain today, loving every minute. The front end tracked flawlessly across soft and hard terrain (changing to Panracer FireXCPro tyres was an inspired decision!) whilst the FreeDrive back end with the RP2 shock was spot on - no disconcerting pedal-bob with the shock in normal position, even under hard pedalling and engaging the pro-pedal switch was ideal for pavement/hard terrain making the back end more akin to a hard tail. Full XT groupset and Easton finishing kit at this price is simply unreal.

Perhaps not an ideal choice if big drops/air is more your thing but for XC duties it's definitely wirth more than a 2nd glance.
  • Thanks for all the info. i can't wait for the bike to arrive. Ordered through Pauls Cycles. Price is fantastic for the spec. (free delivery and the option for buy-now-pay-later interest free)Will be my first full sus bike. Mostly do trails (seven stanes in Dumfries and Galloway) are handy for my aluminium holiday villa) and local runs. Fortunate enough to live on the Sustrans Cycle Route 7 so will be using this as well. Was kinda hoping for the Pro pedal adjuster for the cycle-track days but from what you guys tell me the bike won't bob too much anyway.
    Would still like to know about the test bike and look forward to the reply.
    Anyone else got this bike. Any probs or glitches and any maintainance/ set up tips. Pauls say they set up the bike prior to delivery but have not asked for my weight / height etc so I imagine the shock and fork will need a bit tweakin.
    Tall n skinny
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    Do you have a shock pump?

I don't expect they'll throw one in with the bike, so you will probably want to invest in one to get the fork and shocks right for you.

The manuals will tell you the recommended pressures. I usually start there and then trial and error to get it how I like it.
  • Got the bike today(6th). Excellent service from Paul's Cycles and a great price. Only ordered it Saturday(3rd) afternoon. Bought a shock pump so I was prepared. Shock was solid and wouldnt move so I phoned Pauls and was put on to Duncan (mechanic) who talked me through fixing things (had just seized a bit due to sitting a while).

Bike looks great and will update the forum after a ride. At the moment I can't decide what pedals to fit. Like the look of the Crank Bros smarties but also like the security of my caged clipless Shimanos.
    Also tyres don't look like they will provide much grip in my local woods. Time will tell
    Tall n skinny
  • Hi Tallchap1

You'll find the whole package is more compact and taught - How did you find the hFreeDrive?

The head angle is a little slacker with a trade off in steering sharpness for increased comfort and a front end that stays pretty much where you point in regardless of terrain. Agree re the Kendas - keep them for the dry and look for something with a bit more meat on for the wet stuff.

I put a spare pair of Welgo WPD-410 mini SPDs on instead of the supplied Crank Brothers pedals - but only 'cos a bolt has siezed on the cleat :roll: That said, I can't fault them, so I'll leave them on

Also lovin' the looks too - nice to see tubes instead of girders 8)

Have fun
  • supersonic
    Tis a lovely sus sytem, hardly any pedal kickback - based on the GT Idrive.
  • Hi guys. Good to hear from you.
    Have been workin overtime (curse, but got to pay for the Mongoose) so STILL not been out on the bike. STILL to fit the pedals. Think I will put on the Shimanos as I was just getting used to them. Have had a couple of 'Comedy' fall offs getting used to clipless so tend to alternate. Still not confident in my balance etc. to go full time clipless. Might invest in the one sided clipless pedals Ive seen. Would appreciate comments on these. Im ok clipless when trails are flowing but slippy uphills seem to cause me to spin and fall. Bah. Also wary of technical stuff . Always give it go but end up on my side! Guess a bit more experience required.
    Funny thing about the Mongoose is .... my other bike (my first XC bike at age 40!!!!) , a Saracen Dirttrax 3, seems smaller and tighter for space despite a bigger frame. The seat to bar distance seems to be more comfy (sad git who sits on his bike with no pedals) Hmmm. Would like to keep both but must sell the Saracen (VGC fitted with Quad Stings and sporting Deore gear stuff and Rockshock J3 Fork with Rebound and sag adjust and lockout) to justify to the other half my new purchase.
    Hope to get out for a spin at my local fave run on Friday so will keep you guys who are interested (supersonic. wastelander and chak) posted. REALLY lookin forward to it and in the process of ordering new, chunky, tyres.
    Happy NY to all. :D
    Tall n skinny
  • supersonic wrote:
    Tis a lovely sus sytem, hardly any pedal kickback - based on the GT Idrive.

I have to agree with you...possibly the smoothest suspension system that I've tried.

I quite like the aesthetics of it too, plus the slimmed down tubeset - more bike than construction site!
  • Hi Tallchap1

a couple of things to check - 1) is the virtual top tube on your Canaan
    longer or shorter than your previous bike? Check this by making a
    horizonal measurement from the centre of the top of the headtube to the
    centre of the seat post parallel to the ground. If your Saracen is
    properly fitted and/or comfortable then these measurements should be as
    close as possible, if not actually identical. 2) Is the stem length
    different? Measure this from the centre of the steerer tube to the
    centre of the handlebars. 3) Finally, is the fore/aft position of the
    saddle the same? To set this correctly turn the cranks so that they are
    parallel to the ground and with your feet in their usual position on the
    pedals the base of your kneecap should be over/slightly in front of the
    pedal axle. Get a friend and a plumb line to measure this for you

Hopefully the 'Goose will have the correct virtual top-tube length and a
    simple stem swap/saddle movement will sort the comfort out..
  • Wastelander. Thanx for that. I don't have a problem with the size of the new bike, in fact the cockpit is much more comfortable!! Was going to get a longer stem for the Saracen before I bought the Mongoose as I felt a bit cramped and sore after long distance runs.
    Gave the Mongoose a wee run tonight on the road just to make sure everything was in the right place and working. Going to my local trail to play tomorrow. have kept the tyrs fitted on just for now to see how they are in the trail.
    Tall n skinny
  • Just back from a wee blast round my local woodland trail. Very impressed with the bike. Very smooth, comfortable and confidence inspiring. Round the trails much quicker than before and able to hold better lines. Climbs really well and no really noticable pedal bob from the rear.
    Couple of minor slippy moments with the tyres but not bad enough to make me change them just now.
    If this how the bike performs when new then I cant wait till the suspension beds itself in.
    All things considered this bike has got to be a bargain!!!!
    Not had much to compare it to but for me an excellent machine.

Chuffed.

Now just got to give it a clean (see 'Muddy bike' topic in the forum for my prefered method.

:D
    Tall n skinny