Should a beginner go to Afan (The Wall)

ampthillmountainbikers.bl
edited January 2009 in MTB beginners
If anyone out there could confirm and let me know if it's a good idea for a beginner to try out The Wall in Afan.

YouTube shows a few video's of the run which looks okay, but we all know it's a bit different in real life when you're facing a shear drop to your left and rocks to your right!

Anyone who's been there who could comment, would be appreciated.

Comments

• mcbazza
    mcbazza Posts: 251
    Define 'beginner'?!? Someone brand new to MTB'ing? Or, someone that understands all the basics, has been on rides, just hasn't done too many trails?

As long as you mean the latter, you/they'll be fine. I suppose some of the trails could look a little bit hairy (eg. the drops down into the valley!). But, to be honest, you won't even see them. After all, you should be concentrating on the trails.

Just ride at your own pace. Don't worry about anything other than making it round, and you'll be fine. If you haven't ridden a trail centre before, then this is as good a place as any to start. There are plenty of overtaking places, so no need to panic when you hear someone behind you.

I love Afan/Glyncorrwg, great places to ride. I should be back there myself in a few weekends, probably with the Stumpy.

Afan was the first purpose built centre I rode when I started MTB'ing 2.5yrs ago. I can't remember the details of the trails, but, I was pretty much able to ride everything - fitness permitting!!

The Dropoff Cafe (Gyncorrwg) is just about my favourite place to sit and have a beer post-ride. I think it's still run by Ian. Really nice & enthusiastic chap. Get chatting to him, if you can, he knows the place like the back of his hand.

This almost goes without saying, but, them hills are made out of rock. I'd recommend good pads. But, a XC lid is fine.

And, make sure you are carrying enough clothes/layers. I've ridden in some really windy/cold/nasty conditions around there. And, it can change quite rapidly. And, it can also depend on whether you are on an exposed face, or not (although, that might have been Whites Level, I'm thinking of, can't remember).

On your way home, don't forget to try and fit Cwmcarn in. Nice technical ascent. Sparse at the top, with a park. But, the XC final descent is one of my all time fav's. Especially in Summer. Or, come off the XC track onto the DH for the final section. It's not as hairy as you'd think. Of course, there's always the uplift (Cwm Down), if you just fancy hammering the DH/XC descents all day.
    Stumpy, Rockhopper (stolen!) & custom SX Trail II - that should do it!
  • Thanks for that, I appreciate you taking time out to let me know what's what in the Afan area.
    I'm going to pass this on to the other people who are going with us. We're all beginners to trial riding; we spend all our time in Bedfordshire riding out to Woburn and Chicksands.
    I will definitely suggest the Cwmcarn ride in on the way home.
    Thanks again.
    Paul
  • mcbazza
    As long as people know the basics about MTB'ing (shifting your weight around, where/when/how to brake, riding switchbacks, etc), and have half decent gear, you'll do fine on it all.

Don't forget a trail map. Try to plot your route beforehand. Look for escape routes on the maps, in case people are too tired to go on. But, the trails are well signed.

Just remember, we only get better by pushing ourselves. By going out of our comfort zone. But, that said, don't take unnecessary risks. There is no shame in walking a section, and living to ride it another day.

You'll love it. Probably not as much in Feb, as you would in June-August, but you'll love it!!

Oh, and if you haven't learnt the art of dropping your seats at the top of the climb, then Afan is a good place to learn it!!

Cwmcarn XC might be a bit technical of a climb for a beginner. But, it's great. Just remember to scan a little ahead with your eyes, plot your route, let your rear wheel find the grip. It's worth it for the descent, though. Typically, me & my riding buddy would ride Afan Sat am/pm, again on Sun am, then off to Cwmcarn for a pm ride.

The thing I found hardest of all when I started hitting the Afan trails was having enough energy in me to enjoy the descents. So, make sure you are well supplied. If you feel hungry, or lacking in energy, then it's too late. So, little & often.
  • Couldn't be more different from Woburn, for a start they are rocky not sandy the hills are much longer and steeper. Riding up rocky craggy sections is technically demanding, don't worry if you have to get off and push. Also the downhill sections are very bumpy and will kill your arms. If you are doing both in one day you may find that fitness becomes an issue.

However once you have finished you WILL want to get up and do it again - about 2 days later when you've got your breath back !!

Marv
    What tree ? ...........

Trek 8000 ZR XC hardtail.
  • Pop over to Cannock and have a zip round FTD. It's less than two hours away, and is a nice intermediate step experiance wise.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    Do it - I took some absolute beginners round The Wall and Penhydd and they were fine. Just make sure whoever is going is in a reasonable state of fitness and they'll enjoy it.

I love Afan, can't wait to get back 8)
  • mcbazza
    pittpony wrote:
    Do it - I took some absolute beginners round The Wall and Penhydd and they were fine. Just make sure whoever is going is in a reasonable state of fitness and they'll enjoy it.
    Which reminds me of a little tip for the newbie to Wales/Afan - In Welsh, double-d is an 'F'.
    So, that's not: Pen-hid.
    It's: Pen-hith (of sorts!)

I'm now confirmed as being in S.Wales (Afan/Brechfa/whereever is rideable) on 23/24/25th of this month!! Woot!

Paul: If I remember, I'll update you as to how conditions/etc were. Might even take the POV.1 (helmet cam) and be able to share some footage!!

Oh, and another tip: the Welsh are some of the nicest, most hospitable, chatty people on the planet. Just don't act like a Southerner!! Say hello to everyone. And, if you can find them, try the Welsh Cakes!!

There were three things that really brought my MTB'ing along:
    1. Riding the trails in Afan.
    2. Doing uplift days on the DH track at Cwmcarn.
    3. Holidaying in Morzine.

You seem to have a good little riding 'gang' built up. If you aren't already planning a trip to Morzine (or similar), now is the time. I can put you in touch with a good 2-man outfit just outside Morzine that operates chalets/apartments in Morezine. They'll even pick you+bikes up from Geneva. Costs are really quite good, when you split them 6 (or more) ways.

And, if you do think about going to Morzine, then think about going back to S.Wales nearer the Summer and spending a day doing uplift (run by Cwm Down) at Cwmcarn. You don't have to be on a £4K DH rig like you'll see some riding. I ride my 5in Stumpy there all the time, and get on famously with it.

An uplift day at Cwmcarn is to MTB'ing what an indoor ski-slope is to the Alps (which does it a bit of an injustice). But, it will really bring your technique along before you hit the *proper* slopes in the Alps. But, pick your day before you go. Weekends/holidays get busy. And sometimes it's best to pre-book to be guaranteed a spot.

But, one thing at a time - go to Afan. Have a whale of a time (despite the weather, as it will be cold). And then plan your next MTB adventure from there.
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    Do Penhydd first, it's a little bit easier than The Wall. More flowy, less technical.

Easy to fit both in a day though, one before lunch and one after would work well.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I did Afan and Cwmcarn as a complete beginner - and I mean literally only a months riding after not riding a bike for about 20 years :shock: My OH took me there and kept me blissfully ignorant about what it would be like....

I took it very slowly and walked various sections but it was fine, and I had a fantastic time :D I've been back lots of times since and it's reassuring to see that i'm improving each time!

Go for it.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Bmjboy
    Bmjboy Posts: 680
    We done the lot in October and loved every minute. We're by no means experts, but enthusiastic majorly! - We all ride hardtails.

We trained and trained for all the uphill, but found that downhill was more tiring! Arms and hands ached due to the speed and force going through your arms.

Something I will be training more for when we go this year.

Personally, I would advise doing Penhydd first as others have said, as this will give you confidence to go faster on the other trails. Penhydd isnt tame, infact I loved it more than the Wall if Im honest. Sidewinder on Penhydd I loved, as I flew down!

All 4 trails are fairly close, Penhyyd and Wall at Afan, and Whites and Skyline at Glyncorryg about 10mins apart by car.

Most technical is Whites, I cleared the black run and then I struggled on Energy, thats quite technical IMHO.

You dont have to ride anything you dont want to, each trail is divided into cool named sections, if youve had enough, take the next fireroad out back to base if you need to.

If you fancy, take a look at our pics and videos of our trip:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bmjboy/sets/72157608422561696/
    "I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet
  • canada16
    canada16 Posts: 2,360
    I rode Cwmcarn and never seen an xc course in my life.

I rode up, god that was hard, the first accent is a bit tricky but then its road.

And the xc at the top is amazing, some tricky bits, but just keep your eyes peeled.

I am going to Afan, I only live 30 min away, I cant belive I have not been before, but mates dont ride, and dont like going by myself.

But one mate has just got himself a bike and we went to castell coch and it was great, now he wants to ride everest.

Just keep an eye on your surroundings and it wont be that bad, You can do anything if you go slow enough, even a DH track, but im sure people behind you wont be impressed. .. :lol:

We rode with some guys thats had 3000.00 marin rigs, and they rode with us to the bottom, they were really nice, but kept stopping every time they saw sheep.... LOL, Just joking got to take the mick out of my country, if you dont someone else will