From hybrid to road bike

mobilis
mobilis Posts: 65
edited January 2009 in Road beginners
Shifting from all aluminium hybrid (48/38/28 front 12/27 rear) to aluminium-carbon road bike (50/34 front 12/25 rear)
What to expect mainly in average uphills climbing?

Comments

• topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Hi, you are going to find your lowest gear 34/25 a bit hard going at first, maybe needing to ride out of the saddle a bit more often. However you soon get used to it and on the plus side your new road bike will be somewhat lighter and more responsive so not as bad as you might think :D
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • gbs
    gbs Posts: 450
    to topdude: do you mean get used to standing or the higher bottom gear?. I have been struggling with a bottom gear of 1.7x on a lightweight Bianchi and definitely have to change.
    vintage newbie, spinning away
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    to topdude: do you mean get used to standing or the higher bottom gear?. I have been struggling with a bottom gear of 1.7x on a lightweight Bianchi and definitely have to change.
    Hi, i meant "mobilis" will soon get used to the higher bottom gear but might have to tackle hills out of the saddle to start with.
    Not sure what you mean by "bottom gear of 1.7x and have to change" :?:
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • ShaunL
    ShaunL Posts: 91
    on a hybrid and found my commute time went down from 40 minutes ot 35 and I could, at a push shave another 5 minutes off on my cyclo cross bike.

The 50/12 you'll begin to love with it's extra speed.