lower gears on an old peugot

daccombe
daccombe Posts: 10
edited January 2009 in Road beginners
Hello; I am returning to cycling after 10 or so years layoff, I am 47 and a couple of stone overweight. I used to really enjoy cycling for fun. I have an old Peugot Etoile 12 speed bike. Front; 52-42, rear 14-24. Living in South Devon the terrain is challenging and I find the bike too highly geared. Is it possible to change the rear freewheel for a Shimano 14-28 6 speed freewheel? I realise that buying a new bike with lower gears might be the answer, but I did'nt want to commit to that investment just yet ,cheers. :wink::) [/url][/list][/list][/code][/quote][/u][/i][/b]

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I've wrote it once, and it's a sticky:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12583566
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • bill57
    bill57 Posts: 454
    edited January 2009
    Oh, Reddragon is having a bad day, ignore him.
    Firstly, your bike is probably a heap of junk. Do not take offence at this, it is not your fault!

I expect that somewhere on your frame, you will find a sticker announcing frame tubing "Carbolite 103", which is, sadly, one of the crappest frame tubings ever made. I know, I had one.

If you can find anyone selling the six speed block you want, fine, but this bike will only put you off cycling. "Upgrading" an old boiler like this is a total waste of money
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    bill57 wrote:
    Oh, Reddragon is having a bad day, ignore him.
    Firstly, your bike is probably a heap of junk. Do not take offence at this, it is not your fault! I expect that somewhere on your frame, you will find a sticker announcing frame tubing "Carbolite 103", which is, sadly, one of the crappest frame tubings ever made. I know, I had one.
    If you can find anyone selling the six speed block you want, fine, but this bike will only put you off cycling. "Upgrading" an old boiler like this is a total waste of money

But he could change the inner chainring for a 39 or 38......probably costing not much more than £8.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • bill57
    He could, yes, but how much benefit in tough terrain, if he's a returner, and a bit overweight? Then again, if cost is important, try it.

HNY to you anyway!
  • I picked up a 1987 12 speed Raleigh in Autumn with the same size chainrings as your bike. Took it to the bike shop and they put on a compact crankset (50/34) and I've found that fine for winter training. None of the other components needed changing.
  • Thanks for your honest answers ; the tubing is ,H L E mangalloy if that means anything. I have had a look at the link reddragon and that makes good sense.Goodnight and a HNY to all.
  • bill57
    Just had a thought, can you actually change the front chainrings? Some of the old Peugeot's had a riveted steel chainset. If it's alloy with removable rings it might indicate a higher quality bike.