Back-to-cycling bike for £1000-£1200?!

McColgan34
McColgan34 Posts: 13
edited January 2009 in Road beginners
Hi,

You have probably heard this before but here we go....

I am returning to cycling after 16 years of playing rugby, I used to be reasonably competitive as a 16-year old...

I want to purchase a decent road bike for training and potential long day/away trips. Once I am fit then I plan to re-join a club and start competition (to whatever level I can make). I am 6ft1in and 14 1/2 stones, 34 years of age....

Firstly I am looking for a few tips on purchasing a new bike as the technology has moved on leaps and bounds since my yellow steel Dawes!!! I am torn between a mix of alu and carbon or a full carbon bike and have a budget of around £1000 - 1200.00. I like the trek madone 4.5, bianchi B4P carbon and the planet x sl. has anyone got one of these bikes or any other recommendations?

My main concerns are that my budget is too large (although I know that I will use the bike almost daily as I work from home) and will the bike frame suit my size. I have been out on my mountain bike for the last 6 months so I have given myself the test of wether I still enjoy the open road!

My other question is are most cycling clubs insular and difficult to integrate into? How do I go about finding my local one, I live in Northampton. Finally has anybody travelled down to the tour de France as I would love to do that this summer for a long weekend.

Any support or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Yours in advance

D McColgan

Comments

• found the sticky but still confused, any one out there!?!?!?!?!?
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    well, to kick you off, you say "long day/away trips" - will you be wanting to carry panniers? If so this will change the bikes that are appropriate to you, as will the need for full mudguards, suggesting an audax or touring bike, however the desire to enter competition suggests an out and out fast road bike.

I have a Planet X SL and it is fantastic for the price. I have no complaints and it rides fantastically. At the moment your budget could get you a bigger name brand, albeit with lower spec components, but the benefits are debatable. Specialized Roubaix may be worth a look.
  • bluecow
    bluecow Posts: 306
    How about a tricross? The 2008 comp is in the sales now for £1000 and it has braze ons for pannier racks, its also an alu/carbon mix. (carbon forks). Really sturdy bike and good for commuting but also pretty nippy.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    "....training and potential long day/away trips......and start competition..."

Probably not all that easy to get ONE bike to cover all three bases I think. Any one would involve compromises. But don't forget that wheels/tyres a major determinant of suitabilty for any given use. An audax type will give you at least light touring capability and - with a spare set of lighter wheels/tyres - will probably serve for entry level at least competition.

Conclusion? A grand on a bike - and 200 quid on spare hoops!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • thanks gents, I am still in between a road, tri cross and tourer!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    something like a Kinesis racelight TK? Designed as a winter trainer. Very light alloy frame, carbon fork to match. Slightly relaxed geometry but still pretty quick. Will take proper mudguards and a lightly laden rack if required.

Or how about the Kinesis Gran Fondo if you have a bit more money and want carbon seatstays too?
  • Thanks Gents, made two decsions one; to buy a Bianchi 928 C2C Carbon Veloce Bike (2008) as my main trainer, comp bike and secondly to buy a planet x uncle tom frame to build up as my tourer come the summer. A little bit extravagent but I know that I will get the absolute use and value..

many thanks for your advice and I look forward to crunching the miles out!!!

D McColgan
  • alfablue
    Is that the Uncle John frame? (Can't see an Uncle Tom). If so it is a cross frame that is okay for light touring, commuting and general road use, but maybe not the best choice for serious touring. Maybe it would be better to get a more dedicated tourer, maybe the Uncle John is too similar to the C2C's capabilities to be worth the outlay. The Uncle John does have quite a tight rear triangle which may limit heel clearance with panniers and not make the most stable load carrier. The Kaffenback is better in that respect and also it is steel rather than aluminium, I think it would make a better tourer (though it is uglier IMHO), though if you never intend to do loaded multi-day camping touring, the Uncle John will probably do.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I would agree with getting two bikes.

I'd have spent £500 on something like a Boardman and fitted guards for the winter - that will give a great taste for cycling and after a few months you can see what you fancy.

Bit silly to splash £1200 on something you're not sure about.
  • sorry uncle john! thanks that is great advice...over the next few months I will be searching for a decent second hand or new frame

the idea is to go with essentials and a credit card, maybe sleep under the stars if needed etc. I am not sure that I would want to lug a tent around!!!!???!!!

I love the Bianchi C2C and I know that I will use it for a long time, I have test ridden quite a few bikes and it seems the best fit to my size and style. Also it looks bloody smart! I managed to pick one up for £1000 with the veloce spec so not too bad....not sure my wife will think so when she finds out!!!

from the past I know that if you buy a quality bike it will repay you over time.. especially the frame.

heres to ave-ing 20mph as soons as my lungs and legs can take it!
  • alfablue
    Yep, the C2C is a beauty! You got a good price too.

Actually, taking a tent isn't too bad, mine is 2kg and fits on top of the rack. I have done some nice touring holidays based on the Celtic Trail and the Lon Las Cymru routes in Wales, and round the west coast of Ireland, alternating camping with B&B. It is nice to travel light sometimes though!

Anyway, the Uncle John may well do fine for credit card touring (heel clearance may be an issue, but if it is there are still solutions to this), but anything more ambitious I would go Kaffenback. Both frames seem really good value at £124 though, you might beat that for a secondhand one if you take your time, but they are cheap enough anyway.

Alternatively there is a fairly regular supply of older Dawes Galaxys at around the £200 mark, and although they lack mod cons like STI shifters these could easily be added, and you will probably get a useable set of wheels, drivetrain and finishing kit so you get on the road much cheaper than a self build. They are sound and sturdy touring bikes.

Alternatives could include Raleigh Royale, Ridgeback Horizon, Dawes Horizon, Revolution Country Traveller, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Hewitt Cheviot etc etc.
  • thats sounds like bliss a couple of weeks down the west coat of Ireland!

are there companies in Ireland that do the kit transfer and support?

My bike comes in 5 days cannot wait just hope that the weather improves so I can get out and about....

Are there any training plans on this site what should be a reasonable amount of riding to get started or is it simply what you feel is right???

Thank you very much for the advice, we are planning a friends stag 'week' (as the rest of us are married and haven't been away for years!) which will include a tour so the tips will be useful for myself and the group.
  • alfablue
    I haven't used them but I have seen Iron Donkey who are an Irish company (they do tours all over, but including Ireland).

I have booked a holiday in April with my girlfriend to Tuscany with Hooked on Cycling who do tours all over, but I am not sure about Ireland. I was not keen on the support thing, but my girlfriend is happier if she isn't hauling panniers :roll:, and I suppose it will be nice to just concentrate on the cycling knowing there is a comfy B&B all ready and waiting at the end of each day. Can't wait, actually (though I am expecting some sort of currency surcharge as the £/Euro rate has dived since booking).

I hope you enjoy your new bike, and the stag week.
  • Many Thanks for the advice, I am very jealous of your trip! We have a 2 1/2 year old daughter so it will be a few years before I can get the family to buy into it! at least the Stag trip will give me some touring experience!!

New bike arrives tomorrow, you could say that I am very excited!!!
  • Many Thanks for the advice, I am very jealous of your trip! We have a 2 1/2 year old daughter so it will be a few years before I can get the family to buy into it! at least the Stag trip will give me some touring experience!!

New bike arrives tomorrow, you could say that I am very excited!!!