Advice please - Road bike or Tourer?

Red Devil
Red Devil Posts: 60
edited January 2009 in Road beginners
Well prior to xmas had been training on old claude butler road bike - then had bought rollers to maintain fitness all was going well until I suffered a burst appendix in recovery mode now. Anyway thats the history I was considering buyin a more modern road bike, and now have the time to surf the internet :lol:
I originally wanted a racer as very hilly here mid wales in order to get fit - I'm 45yrs old overweight and recently enjoyed my cycling excursions and was making progress in the fitness stakes. However I'm wondering if I should get a tourer ? just wondered what advice might be available to point me in the right direction- I always cycle solo and have lots of choice re:routes and HILLS !
Any suggestions as to type of road bike or tourer - I know the tourers are usually more expensive but have seen some reduced recently Evans Dawes 2008 tourer e.g.
Online shops - ebay - all considered.

Many Thanks Chris

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    If you think you might want to tour at some stage then obviously a tourer would be best, if it is merely comfort and a triple chainset that you want, then a lighter audax bike might do (which would also be capable of light touring, but with limited loads). There are also many entry level road bikes that have triple chainsets and will take mudguards and racks and light touring loads, such as the Trek 1.2. Some will argue that a steel framed bike will give a comfier ride (me included), and most tourers and audax bikes are steel. Some tourers (like the Super Galaxy) have mtb chainsets and cassettes offering the lowest gearing, audax bikes tend to have road chainsets and cassettes. If speed is not your main concern, but managing hills is, I would go for the lower gearing.

As for Evans, I have read on this forum in the past that some of their cheap Dawes have downgraded wheels (which is a shame as this is a very important aspect of a tourer). They cover this with "specification subject to change" Spa Cycles usually do good prices on Dawes and would be a much more reliable source. They were selling the Super Galaxy at £800 before xmas, I see they have gone up now, but they are likely to offer them again I would guess.

Condor make a nice tourer (the Heritage, got 9/10 in C+ last year) and an Audax bike (the Fratello), you can spec them with what gear setup you prefer.

What is your budget?

Glad to hear you are back on the bike, you have a wonderful backyard to cycle in living in mid Wales (my favourite bit!).
  • :) Thanks for the reply - not back on the bike yet but slowly recoverin hence the time to surf the web.
    Good advice thank you - especially re: bikes that I could add mudguards racks etc - lower gearing- triple chainset seem the way to go but my budget may be limiting £500ish.

Any examples even if I have to look for second hand ebay etc very welcome.

Cheers
  • alfablue
    Someone one the forum is selling a 2007 Galaxy for £500, see here. (Note the regular Galaxy has bar end shifters, not STI shifters).

Spa Cycles have a Dawes Audax with triple for £620.

Edinburgh Cycles do a budget tourer the Revolution Country Traveller for £339, but only in small, they should have new 2009 models in stock soon, probably at the current £439, which should be a good buy. They also have the Ridgeback Horizon for £519.

Revolution is Edinburgh Cycle Co-Op's own brand but I think their Country Traveller uses the same frame as the Dawes Horizon, which Spa Cycles are selling for £460.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I have a light tourer - Dawes Audax. When I was buying I decided on that rather than a Galaxy which is heavier and better for heavy duty touring. You don't want to be dragging a heavy tourer up hills unless you have to. I preferred a light tourer to a road bike as they seemed more comfortable and I like having mudguards as standard.
  • alfablue
    I agree with Totalnewbie, and I bought a Dawes Audax which is a great ride. I found though, it was not up to commuting (I take a fair load including laptop) or more than credit card touring, as the rear triangle is too flexible when loaded, so I am now looking for a touring bike as well as I like to do touring with camping gear. Its hard to predict how you will end up wanting to ride, but if yo can eventually get bikes to suit all your requirements then it isn't such an issue (I currently have 3 bikes, the Audax for long and/or winter rides; an mtb converted for touring and commuting, and a lightweight road bike. I want a tourer so I can return the mtb to its proper role). If, on the other hand, you are only ever going to have one bike, and you might occasionally want to carry a load, then the tourer will offer most flexibility.

A lot of people round these parts also suggest cyclocross bikes like the SPecialized Tricross because they take mudguards, can carry a rack, can go off road etc. I have no experience of them though I suspect a steel audax bike might give a nicer ride.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Edindevon was kind enough to post this link in response to my Q re Dawes Galaxy sizing in "Knowhow".

"I've no experience with the make, but it might be worth checking out the Jamis Aurora Elite '08 Touring bike at Buy a Bike. At £700, they claim this is £500 off and they do it in smaller sizes.

http://www.buyabikedirect.co.uk/product ... o&pid=3225

Edindevon"

I know little about Jamis by personal experience, but they have a sound reputation and if it were not for the horizontal top tube I would almost certainly snap up the Aurora Elite at this "sale" price! The cheaper "Aurora" has attracted quite a lot of mainly very favourable user reviews in the USA.
    Worth a look.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Hi All,
    I suspect that I might be one of the people who suggest Specialized Tricross! However, you're looking at 750 quid plus for the entry level Sport model. If I lived in the UK and could get hold of one I'd possibly have gone for an audax. If you want any info on the Tricross, just let me know.
    Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • :D Wow thanks for all the replys - have plenty of food for thought now and will sit tight and see if any further reductions in price occur :wink:

Chris
  • Another Tricross owner here, I am in my late forties and still a bit pudgy, but getting fitter all the time.

I chose it because a. although an alloy frame it has a carbon fork and seatpost which greatly improve ride comfort b. wide ratio's on the cassette for ploughing up hills c. mounts for mudguard/rack d. strong wheels with clearance for wider tyres, so bike can cope with light offroad.

I have done a number of audax rides (and a London to Paris) and can walk afterwards, so comfort is no problem.

A jack of all trades but probably master of none, if you never go offroad an audax type will probably be quicker on road, if that is important to you.
  • Bill D
    Bill D Posts: 62
    Hi Red Devil. Like you I'm in mid Wales and trying to get fit (and lose some weight) on a bike. It's very hilly here and before I got my new audax type bike last month I worried about the gearing. Mine has a (30 t smallest) triple road chainring and a 27t largest rear sprocket. For now I spend a lot of time in bottom gear and can only get up some of the hills standing on the pedals, but the bike is lighter and nippier than a full on tourer and I don't regret my choice at all. If you've got a day to spare I'd recommend a trip to Epic cycles in Tenbury Wells. They built up my bike for me after a proper sizing session and I got to ride out on one of their demo bikes which they set up for me before I bought. For what it's worth I don't think brands matter a lot: within any given budget you are likely to get what you pay for. Good luck, anyway, whatever you decide to do. Bill
  • alp777
    alp777 Posts: 211
    I know little about Jamis by personal experience, but they have a sound reputation and if it were not for the horizontal top tube I would almost certainly snap up the Aurora Elite at this "sale" price! The cheaper "Aurora" has attracted quite a lot of mainly very favourable user reviews in the USA.
    Worth a look.

Meagain, why does the horizontal TT put you off?
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    "Meagain, why does the horizontal TT put you off?"

:oops: Getting a little less shall we say "flexible" with age :(

And I prefer plenty of standover.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • Andy140
    Andy140 Posts: 130
    Been looking at this one myself

Tifosi CK7 from wiggle
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    Bill and Chris,

You are fortunate to live in superb cycling territory. I know it well and miss it terribly. Yes the hills are steep but the effort is worthwhile. There comes a point (or a gradient) where even the lowest gears can't work magic. The solution is to get out there and keep putting yourself through it. Unfortunately that's not as easy in your 40s as your early 20s, as I'm finding out :(

I don't know whether a true Audax bike (e.g. Pearson, Thorn) is the best answer Chris or whether you go for a standard road bike triple that will accept full-length mudguards. I'd pass on tourers unless you're keen to get pannier'd up.

Dave Mellor in Shrewsbury, my local shop, have a good range of Giant and Specialized bikes and nearby competitor Stan Jones sell Trek, Cube and Kona. The Kona Jake 'cross bike did very well in a C+ grouptest of flexible semi-tourers I read last year, alongside a Van Nich and Salsa Casseroll, I'm not sure if it is this article. Wherever you go I am sure it pays to try as many as you can before you buy.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Simon & Bill,
    Apologies for the delay have not been on here for a little while - thanks for the responses and advice.
    May well check out bike shops you mentioned occasionally come through Shrewsbury.
    Unfortunately still off the bike following op 4 weeks ago - but aim to be back in saddle March ish time- hopefully on new bike !! :lol:
    Think I'm gonna go for standard road bike & see how it goes.

Chris