How often do you break your mech hanger?

neil²
neil² Posts: 337
edited January 2009 in XC and Enduro
Hi,

I've had two mech hangers go in the past couple of months. How many do others get through?

Both breakages have occurred after a very minor XC prangs.

For info, these are on a Diamondback response frame.

Cheers!

Comments

• Never on any of my bikes. You may have been unlucky.
  • Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    I've done a few since 2002, one on my Dr Jekyl, the other on my stinky in the summer. Clipped a rock, ripped the hanger, mech jumped into the spokes and made a mess.
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • Dan67
    Dan67 Posts: 658
    I have done a couple both I am unsure how they happened. One happened riding on a over grown footpath. And one on a house estate footpath
  • I think it could be a diamondback problem, i had a diamondback for just under a year and the hanger broke twice!, theyre meant 2 have flex in them anyway so that when u crash the hanger bends so less damage is done 2 ur rear mech, but i think they have 2 much flex and are too weak.
    hope it helped :?: :shock: Jamie
  • icedmind
    icedmind Posts: 206
    i have never actually snap one but bend mine dozen of times
    normally happen after a crash, or v harsh shifting after long ride

check if your chain is 2short tht might b the problem
    also check if the hanger is stright (to the wheel) after u install a new one n check the rear mech as well
    hope this helps
    08 Swork Stumpy FSR with 3 brains
    "2Brains. A Singletrack Mind ", from specialized <<<suppose if the rider doesnt have one
  • neil²
    neil² Posts: 337
    Thanks for the replies...

I guess that I will just have to wait and see if any more go. I have two more on order.

Neither breakage was after anything too dramatic and so I will take a look at the mech itself to make sure that it's all ok.

I will hope that I was unlucky and that luck will change for the new year :?
  • endurojcb
    endurojcb Posts: 170
    Never luckily, but I always carry a spare in my pack just in case I do!
    2007 Merlin Malt 4
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Snapped 2 last year,non since and non in the previous decade.
  • stevieboy
    stevieboy Posts: 704
    never, probably helps having a shadow rear mech though
    Scott Scale Custom
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/ ... C09729.jpg

Kona Coilair 2007 Dark Peak Destroyer
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/ ... C09727.jpg

"BOCD - If it aint perfect it aint good enough"
  • Blundell
    Blundell Posts: 308
    Bent 2 over the last 2 years both on me scott. Saying that though I'd rather have the mrch hanger break than the frame. wouldn't bee too happy dishing out on a new frame.
    Funnily enough, never get any problems remotly close to it on my other bikes. My scott just mustn't like some of the large twigs that get chucked up where I often ride.
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    Never broke mine myself but my mate has been through around 5 in the last year. He rides an 06 Marin Wolf Ridge. Mech is quite exposed due to the position of the swing arm.
  • djvagabon
    djvagabon Posts: 262
    Never broke 1 and ive been riding for 18 years. It sounds like youre very unlucky mate.
  • Broke one about 20 years ago, cycling on the road over a canal bridge (chain caught inbetween cassette and spoked and pulled it round 180). Next time was 2005, cycling down kinder scout in the peaks, on a snowy trail, my back wheel decided to overtake my front wheel, bike landed on the rear mech, bent the frame. Frame was repaired by LBS for £10!!! (Steel hardtale :-)). Last time was three weeks ago, coming down middle moor near hayfield, a rock got picked up by my wheel, hit rear mech into spokes and the poor mech was twisted around 180 degrees and promptly snapped. Frame was ok this time, good job as it was a new full susser only a few weeks old.
    Spec fsr 09
    Cannondale '90 Hard Tale
    GT steel hard tale
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Broken 1 and bent 2 in the last 2 years

The broken hanger was caused by a hidden tree stump which I hit at about 20mph. One of the bent ones was a road accident and the third mangled hanger was a lost the front wheel got it back then the back wheel overtook the front firing me off the bike accident
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • myopic
    myopic Posts: 692
    Never broken one in last eight years, but bent same one 3 times in last year. Straightened out each time but suspect it's weaker after first bending straightening. Its on my old bike now, one of the things I might replace someday, but it's not broke, so I'm not going to fix it - yet.
    You don't need eyes to see, you need vision
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Not broken one yet!
  • Same as Mr Chuck...despite my best efforts they've all survived.

Jinxed now though.
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • mcbazza
    mcbazza Posts: 251
    My Rockhopper currently has a snapped hanger. Was rather odd. Just stuck the bike on the road (to go to work). Pedals were stiff. Pushed harder, and before I knew it mech was off and hanging.

Was in S.Wales at the weekend. Was probably a mistake to remove my rear wheel when putting the Stumpy into the boot of my mates estate. As something must have leant on the mech. On pulling the bike out my mech was all over the place. Hanger in one piece. But, the bolt that holds it onto the frame had sheared. Managed to get it all back into place, and ride all weekend with it like that (wheel holding it in place).

My Custom SX is fine!! Probably because it hasn't seen any *proper* abuse yet.

I think they all take the same hanger. Which is handy, as I have a spare in the Camelback, and another couple on order at the LBS.
    Stumpy, Rockhopper (stolen!) & custom SX Trail II - that should do it!
  • sniper68
    mcbazza wrote:
    My Rockhopper currently has a snapped hanger. Was rather odd. Just stuck the bike on the road (to go to work). Pedals were stiff. Pushed harder, and before I knew it mech was off and hanging.

Was in S.Wales at the weekend. Was probably a mistake to remove my rear wheel when putting the Stumpy into the boot of my mates estate. As something must have leant on the mech. On pulling the bike out my mech was all over the place. Hanger in one piece. But, the bolt that holds it onto the frame had sheared. Managed to get it all back into place, and ride all weekend with it like that (wheel holding it in place).

My Custom SX is fine!! Probably because it hasn't seen any *proper* abuse yet.

I think they all take the same hanger. Which is handy, as I have a spare in the Camelback, and another couple on order at the LBS.
    I think all spesh are the same as an 04 rockhopper/enduro is the same as 08s.they have 2 small bolts holding them one of which is blue,the blue one is "sacrificial"and meant to snap under pressure to save the mech/frame.Make sure this is replaced in the correct hole.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    They aren't all the same, BEDT have about 30 or so!

The thing to do is check they look roughly the same and it'll do.
  • sniper68
    They aren't all the same, BEDT have about 30 or so!

The thing to do is check they look roughly the same and it'll do.
    The one i bought for my 08 Enduro SL is exactly the same as the spare i've had for my old 04 Enduro.That states on the "bikes it fits" Enduro/fsr/stumpy/rockhopper from 2004.
  • mcbazza
    mcbazza Posts: 251
    I had my LBS check for me on Monday, and they confirmed (that in my case, for my year of bikes - at least) that they do all appear to be the same one.
    Stumpy, Rockhopper (stolen!) & custom SX Trail II - that should do it!
  • maurice
    maurice Posts: 151
    I've never broken one, on my current bike bent the one in two years. It was quite a bizarre incident, as you can see

StickMechSm.jpg