Defeating the Object!!!!

Biggins
Biggins Posts: 40
edited January 2009 in Road beginners
I cycle to try and keep my weight in check as I am prone to be a hefty male specimen!!!!
The problem is, that after every ride I feel absolutely starving and want to eat everything in sight for the rest of the day. THis happens whether I eat loads on the ride or not and I feel like I could eat a horse between two bread vans!!!!

Does anyone else have this problem, if so, how do you combat it?

Cheers fellas.

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    It's par for the course - eat plenty before you start out, eat while you're riding, and then when you get back. Your metabolism will settle down eventually - all you can do in the meantime is make sure that you eat the right foods.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Try filling yourself with liquid instead. Water is your friend up to a point. Have something fibrous to soak up the water and give you a long lasting full feeling...Muesli or Weetabix etc works for me. Doesn't matter what time of he day it is...I will eat anything regardless of the time.
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    It's par for the course - eat plenty before you start out, eat while you're riding, and then when you get back. Your metabolism will settle down eventually - all you can do in the meantime is make sure that you eat the right foods.
    I only partially agree with this - it doesn't have to be par for the course (it certainly isn't for me) but I'd agree that it is important to eat properly. Drinking sensibly is probably even more important.

I do hard hilly pennine rides of upto 3 hours on nothing more than a couple of bottles (2/3 water, 1/3 orange juice). I don't eat anything on short rides like those. If I was doing 4-5 hours I'd get through an extra bottle and use carbo-powder in my drinks as well. On longer rides, I eat 'little and often'.

I think the most important thing is to start the day with a good breakfast so that you are not 'playing catch-up' all day. Every morning I have a large bowl of porridge with dried fruit mixed in and a banana chopped over the top of it. It's amazing how long that can fuel me for. If I'm busy during the day, I often forget to eat again until about 20:00! (That's not recommended, but it does show how much nutritional value there is in a bowl of porridge.)
  • I'd agree with the good breakfast, when I cycle to work my eating regime is something like this;

I tend to have a bowl of porridge for breakfast at about 7:30 and two cups of tea by the time I leave the house for my cycle to work. I usually add whatever I fancy to my porridge but most recently it's been two tea spoons of marmalade and two small squares of dark chocolate grated over the top and then all mixed together. I can't take the credit for that particular choice, I read it in a cookbook.

Anyway back to the point, I find that this keeps me and my belly contented until about 12:00 or so. Lunch I'll eat some sandwiches and have a cup-a-soup and eat a banana and an apple during the day.

Then when I get home in the evening I'll eat around 8:00 or once my daughters in bed. If I feel hungry at any time during the day I will try to eat fruit or nuts.

Lastly I'm not thin, or even well defined for that matter. I have a bit of a gut but I do feel a lot fitter than I did a couple of years ago.