Newbie in Lincs

TigerSteve
TigerSteve Posts: 2
edited January 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi all, I'm a relative newbie when it comes to MTBing and having recently moved to Scunthorpe (no jokes plz lol) I'm looking to make contact with potential riding partners and get recommendations on good routes, areas and trails.

I'm 42 years old, looking to improve my fitness and get out and about. I am currently riding a GT Avalanche 2.0 and have visited Sherwood Pines on a couple of occasions. Having searched the web for MTB clubs in my area I've drawn a blank, so need your help to track down like minded people.

Any help, advice or links would be greatly appreciated.

ATB
Steve

Comments

• Hello Steve, I live in grantham/Barrowby and the only club in the area is witham wheelers. They do mountain bike, but not very often as they focus more on road rides. I have the viking way and jubilee way on my doorstep, I have put together some nice loops that mix road and trail totaling around 30+.

I am a solo rider aswell and I have been riding for about 4 years. I sometimes ride with a mate next door but he's a lazy ass and my fitness levels tend drop off because of it. Some new riding partners are put off by my riding, probably why next door needs so much encouragement (BEER) lol.

If your interested in coming to my neck of the woods send me a pm.

cheers,

Paul.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Wow, Scunthorpe makes it through the swear filter!

While lincs is relatively flat, you are very close to a lot of stuff in Yorkshire - Peaks, Wharncliffe, Moors, Wolds so if you can travel you have a wealth of riding very close by.
  • welcome to the forum.

David
  • Hi Steve

OS Explorer maps 280, 281 & 282 have the local area in them.

I try to do the following 20 miler a couple of times a week (weather & work permitting!!)

Start in Scunny and head out on the A1077 towards Winterton, take the right turn at Risby Rd signposted Risby & at the next crossroads turn right signposted bridleway. Follow the bridleway across Risby Warren and through the turf farm at Santon, turn right and head through Santon. Turn left just after Santon Cafe up a slight tarmac slope and then turn left at the footpath taking the fire road behind the steelworks - you can follow the fireroad or make your way across the common ground following the several available paths.After about 1.5miles look for a left turn up a farm track taking you up the hill towards Broughton Woods & the poultry farm. Follow the track round the farm and then make your way through Broughton Woods to come out at Raventhorpe Farm then drop down Mortal Ash Hill back into Scunny. I've lived in Scunny for about 4 years and been riding this route quite frequently.

There are also some rides out towards Burton Upon Stather, Crowle, Winterton & Alkborough. As there isn't much of a scene in Scunny I found the easiest thing was to grab a map & work out my own trials. Only ever been challenged once by a farmer in Whitton for cycling on a footpath across his fields!!!

Rustys Cycles in Ashby are a good group of guys who can advise on routes or repairs / upgrades.

I try to get out a couple of times a week - I live Skippingdale side of Scunthorpe - and the riding isn't fantastic as the land is just too flat. If your feeling more adventurous try the 40 mile Cyclemania Challenge out on the Lincs Wolds starting in Walesby its a real killer!!!

If your interested in hooking up and going for a ride (any distance) then drop me a line. In the better weather I get to Sherwood & Dalby & would be interested in going to Wharncliffe, Macc Forest, Hope Valley, anywhere really!!!

Cheers
    Phil
    (the guy on the black spech)