Focus Culebro 2008???

320DMsport
320DMsport Posts: 306
edited January 2009 in Road beginners
Hi all,

I'm not going mad but checking out another bike that caught my eye before i take the plunge.

I am still looking at the CAAD 9 105.

What are the views on the Focus Culebro? And what level is Sram Rival equipment compared to Shimano?

I have Sram X0 on my MTB and it is very slick.

The bike i'm using at the mo has Campag mirage, so i'm pressuming Rival is around 105 level?

The bike seems very light which must be good!

I've read stem, post saddle aren't up to it, but would i notice the stem not being the best for a training bike?

Saddle i'd prob change anyway.

Thanks.

Comments

• gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    rival i around 105 / campag veloce level yes

not seen the culebro - seems to be a fairly recent model and looks like the same geometry frame as the cayo but in aluminium.
  • So not being an expert, is the Cayo a good geometry for the odd sportive and a good few road miles?

I'll compare the geometry to what i've been looking at, is the steeper head angle mean sharper handling?

I was trying to get a variado expert, but waiting for them to get back as there has been some confusion over my order for that.

Which had ultegra, could be a better bet with R20 wheels too.
  • gkerr4
    well...

the cayo isn't a bike I would want to ride for sportives - too low in the front end although a heap of spacers could add a little height. The 54 size has a headtube of 135mm - my roubaix of the same size is 165 - over two inches higher

in additon - a couple of guys in my office have them (cayo) and they think that the ride is quite harsh as the frame is mega-stiff - good for racing, not so great for a mere mortal on a 6hr sportive!

that said - as with most things, there are loads of people on here that have cayos and I am sure they do a lot of sportives on them - so it's not like you can't use it for that.

but I wouldn't want to.
  • 320DMsport

I have a 2008 Focus Culebro in XL size which is a 58cm frame. The head tube is 17cm so isnt too low and in addition there is at least 2.5cm of spacers on the headtube that I have lifted to comfort my ride. As standard this bike came in at 7.85kg without pedals. Its a very light and responsive ride, fast acceleration and stops brilliantly with the SRAM Rival brakes. I love the hoods and the levers, much more comfortable than Shimano 105 imho and I really like the double tap system. When I can afford Red, I will! I didn't like the saddle much and swapped for my own kit and I also changed to a shorter stem and a carbon post for extra comfort, otherwise it rides as out of the box, and I can highly recommend it. Currently wiggle have the 2008 at £697 for a 54 and 52 size frames. Frankly I'd snap there hands off at that price as I paid £800 and am well pleased with my purchase..
  • alwaysOTB
    alwaysOTB Posts: 151
    The 54 size has a headtube of 135mm - my roubaix of the same size is 165 - over two inches higher

30mm Isn't over 2 inches in my book gkerr4 :wink:

Im sure its a light bike crabstix, and not wanting to piss on you parade or anything, but I doubt it actually comes in at 7.85kg, especially with your XL size. Having said that, had I not decided to build up a bike myself I would have definitely bought it at 697. Lots of people really rate rival - very light for the money, great ergonomics and works just as well, though the the 08 stuff apparently can have issues with front shifting, which have been sorted with the 09 brifters.
  • gkerr4
    oops - sorry - you are right - inch and a bit then..

:oops: