Anthony Maynard Sportive

Comments

• graham1871
    graham1871 Posts: 34
    This looks like a very well organised Sportive and a couple of great routes too.

More rolling hills than mad gradient climbs - so should be good fun.

It's not being run for profit so worth the entry fee.
  • BeanPole
    BeanPole Posts: 47
    I'm doing the long route tomorrow. It looks like a good event/route but there are a few showers forecast. Anyone else on here doing it?
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    I'm doing the shorter route tomorrow as all my friends have moaned about me being registered for the long route. Really looking forward to it and also respecting and supporting Anthony and family.
  • BeanPole
    Jeepie wrote:
    I'm doing the shorter route tomorrow as all my friends have moaned about me being registered for the long route. Really looking forward to it and also respecting and supporting Anthony and family.

Yep - I hope it's really successful and therefore becomes a regular event. You can't get a more fitting tribute to a fellow fallen rider than that.
  • hope you enjoyed your rides
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    hope you enjoyed your rides

Not sure enjoy is the right word for it but my daughter and I got round okay even though we added a few extra miles when we went off course. We both missed the left turn in Cold Ash, about 10 miles from the finish, found ourselves going down this lovely long and steep (10%) hill towards Thatcham, only to then realise we'd missed a turn somewhere and had to climb all the way back up again. We added one very unwelcome climb and must have put 15/20 mins to our time. Bugger.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    It was a very wet and windy day, the route wasn't too bad, lots of country lanes without alot of traffic. Lots of gravel on the roads though, recent heavy rains probably haven't helped here.

I thought it was a nice day overall, and not too many bad hills, the one up past the white horse was a nice climb :twisted: , at 190kms it was a long day, especially as one of the guys I was riding with had a bit of a very low moments on Salisbury Plain, but a short rest and food sorted him out. Last 40 miles were better with a tailwind, and a little bit of sun.
  • graham1871
    graham1871 Posts: 34
    Enjoyed it, but it was tough riding into the wind and rain at times... found it much harder going than I'd expected.

I did the short route and the bike gadget clocked it at 110km and not 105km - did anyone else notice this? Well, that's my excuse for the poor time. :wink:

Great cake at the end.
    Full respect for the guy on the Giant mountain bike that burnt everyone off after the level crossing stop...
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    I did the short route and my Computer stopped at 68.35miles which is 110KM. I thought the course was good but a few people at the end were saying they had gone off course! I had a few moments were I thought I might have gone wrong as there were long sections without any signage. Good event, I hope they make it annual.
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    I had a great ride. I didn't get lost which is amazing for me, bearing in mind I can get lost in Tescos. I really enjoyed it, but it was much harder than I expected, especially the first 1/4 of the ride.

I thought the route was very well planned and the food stops were tremendous. I'd eaten all my food after about 10k given the tough climbs, so they were much appreciated! I really enjoyed it and would do it again next year. I really like the fact that the traffic volumes were so low too.

Hope everyone had a good time!
  • Ironman595
    Ironman595 Posts: 93
    I had done some events with Anthony a few years ago so I did the long course to pay my repects.

Weather aside, the organisation was amongst the best. Feed stations were brilliant, marshalling, signs and end of ride cake.

I tough and very demanding ride with or without wind- I managed to ride with some of the quicker Reading riders.. and even broke off the front... 6hrs 08 was my time... but who cares...
  • Simon Notley
    Simon Notley Posts: 1,263
    Ironman595, you must be the guy that sat down next to me (I was standing up) at the HQ afterwards.

That was an amazing pace you and the other Reading guys were setting, even more imporessive that you managed to break away. Maybe I'd have been able to stick with you if I'd been with you from the start, but after 100km riding in a pair into the wind, I couldn't quite hang on and lost you at 160km or so. Those kind of distances are not really something I train for, so I was pleased to be able to keep going that long to be honest.

It was a great event. Very little traffic for most of it with some nice climbs and descents.
  • times are here:
    http://www.sportsystems.net/Results/Res ... e09All.pdf

I was to be seen sat in the rain in Marlborough with my dog.
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    Anyone know who the photographers on course were. Anyone got a link?
  • BeanPole
    Great event but the head wind was particularly tough as I spent most of the route on my own.

I did the long route in 8:13 hrs which is not bad for me considering the weather and the fact that I did an extra 9 miles just for the extra challenge (.. ok.... I got horribly lost ..... twice...)

Nice route, well organised, good feed stations and friendly fellow riders - I will definately be back next year.
  • I managed to ride with some of the quicker Reading riders.. and even broke off the front... 6hrs 08 was my time... but who cares...

Of course what you should have done is broke off the front and gone the wrong way, now that would have been a tribute to Anthony :lol::(
  • Langers
    Langers Posts: 95
    Thanks to the organisers. I really enyoyed the ride, although had trouble standing on the last 5 hills!

Wish the marshall at the second pit stop was a bit more awake. Loads of people were going the wrong way there!

I also made it 110k for the short route.