Mech hanger fails and twisted my chain.

amt27
amt27 Posts: 320
edited December 2008 in MTB beginners
My rear mech hanger broke today, for no good reason, will try and take this up with the shop. The hanger is new and I haven't had a crash with it on the bike.

However the hanger breaking caused the mech to travel up and around the cassette to half way along the chain stay. Not a problem I thought, until I was breaking the chain to make a single speeder to get me home. I found the chain (new with only 1 ride) had 3 or 4 twisted links.

Is this normal? for chains to twist in this manor, its never happened to me before. I guess I am used to 8 speed chains from the past, which are a little wider.

I will replace the links with a few spare ones, might be a bit shorter. I guess there will be 3 points where I have broken and connected the chain, other than the split link point. Will the chain be weakened from this?

Happy New Year

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you will have bent it for it to fail. or the mech was bent when the earlier one failed and it was not spotted. and has caused the new problem.

Or something else is not set correctly.

How did the old one fail?

what else has been changed from new spec?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    Theres no pressure exerted onto the hanger mechanically so it won't just break. It must of been caught on something or perhaps the mech has been pushed into the spokes? Maybe the Stop is not set correctly?
  • nicklouse
    Oh replace the chain.

chains do twist, even 8spd.

Oh and what bike? and whey has the chain been broken and joined so many times?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • amt27
    the previous break was a crash, so I guess there could be an alignment problem, plus I had a random chain stuck between the cassette and spoke problem earlier in the ride, didn't realise such things would damage the hanger,

well the chain would have been broken and connect once to remove the twisted links, second to shorten the chain to single speed set up, then adding links removed for the single speed and adding links to replace twisted links, so 3 new breaks in all,

have any of you guys used a hanger protector? they look useful but couldn't they damage the rest of the frame and snap the quick release in a crash which would normally just bend the hanger, causing more damage
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    Random chain stuck between spoke and cassette? Hows that? That only happens if the mech isn't set properly.

Sure Nicklouse will put you right ;)
  • nicklouse
    what bike?
  • amt27
    Stumpjumper FSR Comp 2008

well the chain jumped off the cassette, hasn't happened before, guess it needed adjusting or the hanger was damaged prior to that,