Anyone else stripping in the New Year?

stumpyjon
stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
edited January 2009 in MTB general
Their bike that is. Mine's in lots of bits :shock:

pbpic2838289.jpg

Just got to put it all back together now :?

Just thought I'd share the pain.

Happy New Year to all ye fettlers :wink::wink: .
It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result

Comments

• good luck putting that back together :D and happy new year everybody
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Hope you used all the screws/nuts/bolts in the background :lol: Nothing worse than putting your bike/car back together and having a screw left over
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    have you always had that frame?
  • stumpyjon
    Yep.

Got it Easter 2007 to replace an ancient Giant Terrago (which I've now got built up as a commuter bike). Got the Kinesis Easter 2008, what will Easter 2009 bring I wonder? (will have finished paying for the Stumpy and Kinesis in April 2009 :P ).

Just thought it could do with a full strip and clean, realised last year half the bearings had seized :oops: , which explained the creaking. Bled the brakes for the first time yesterday, pulled the levers this morning and they went right back, then realised they would as the brakes weren't actually attached to the frame :oops: . Luckily didn't move the pistons in too far.

• jadamson
    jadamson Posts: 644
    wow :shock: how long did that take? more importantly how long will it take to put back together :lol: im not going to bother till 2010 as i only got my bike a few months ago. love the kit you got though i wish i could afford it.
  • haven't completley taken my bike to bits but its waiting for new brake levers to be attatched, brakes bled, grips attatched and handlebars replaced (cost me 120 quid that single crash did)

Yukon Lad
    Drop, Berm, Jump, Sky, Sky, Sky, Sweet Beautiful Earth OUCH, OUCH,OUCH, ****! GORSE BUSH!!!

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008
  • Sarnian
    Sarnian Posts: 1,451
    I have just got mine back together, thought I would give It a good going over as I have had 9 days off over crimbo.
    It's not a ornament, so ride It
  • I have spent all Christmas tinkering and now have three bikes that worked before Xmas in bits :?

I have been road riding as they are the only bikes that are currently in operation.

I need to go back to work before I break them too..
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Yeah, I'll be tearing mine apart tomorrow when the hangover fades and rebuilding it around the new frame, with some other nice bits added. No chance I'll be riding so it seems the ideal time :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you knocked that table over haha!
  • supersonic wrote:
    If you knocked that table over haha!
    :lol: that would be hilarious, damn sorting the bike, you'd be working till next xmas trying to pick up all of those individual little bolts and finding all of the little washers

Yukon Lad
    Drop, Berm, Jump, Sky, Sky, Sky, Sweet Beautiful Earth OUCH, OUCH,OUCH, ****! GORSE BUSH!!!

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008
  • stumpyjon
    Jadamson - Took about six hours to get this far (although that does include a lot of cleaning and stripping and rebuilding of sealed bearings. Reckon I've got another 8 hours to go :( including wheels.

Takes far less time to build a bike for scratch with new, clean parts. Oh well, the garage is comfy, got my heater, radio, chair, PC and kitchen sink (literally) in there so I'm happy, must get a kettle sorted.

Sonic you're a bad, bad man :twisted: . More worrying would be if my 4 year old daughter got in there :shock: .

• ouch.. "daddy what does that bit do?. wot about that bit? and that bit?... and so on till she has asked you about every piece :P
  • stumpyjon
    Oh she's worse than that, she quite likes bikes (comes out with me on her tag along sometimes) and thinks she knows everything. We were in a local bike shop before Christmas and she spotted a pink 20" tyre hanging up and shouted 'I want that tyre, it'll fit my bike, and she was right :shock: .

• Northwind
    Mine is about half assembled now, but I can't feel my hands any more :roll:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • stumpyjon
    Get yourself a heater (and a garage :wink: ). My hands usually end up really soapy from all the degreaser I get through, really should use barrier cream :roll: . Haven't done any work on mine today, been riding on the hardtail instead. Got to get it back together before I go back to work on Monday though. Should get my order from CRC tomorrow as it was posted yesterday, should provide a little encouragement.

• Anonymous
    ooh, i do love an email from crc, im waitng for shoes, knee pads and elbow pads, though it was time to treat myself instead of the bike for once :lol: ive done a fair bit of bike building thi last 6 weeks so im enjoying having nothing to do on the bikes. they are behaving very well at the moment.

good luck with the rebuld and dont forget rule number one........
  • Yukon Lad
    Yukon Lad Posts: 423
    i have yet to put my bike back together, probably do it tomorrow

Yukon Lad

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008
  • stumpyjon
    Had chips for tea in a local pub with a roaring fire and a pint. I'm off to bed in a minute cos I'm real sleepy now, this morning's ride in the artic might also have had something to do with it.

• Northwind
    stumpyjon wrote:
    Get yourself a heater (and a garage :wink: )

I've got both! But it was about -8 here last night so all the parts and tools are still ice cold, the rest of me's fine but my hands are like hooked claws :roll: I've slowed myself right down cleaning and greasing, and also satisfying my inner weight weenie and weighing everything up as I go. Lost in my own little world :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Sarnian
    Northwind wrote:
    stumpyjon wrote:

I've got both! But it was about -8 here last night so all the parts and tools are still ice cold, the rest of me's fine but my hands are like hooked claws :roll: I've slowed myself right down cleaning and greasing, and also satisfying my inner weight weenie and weighing everything up as I go. Lost in my own little world :lol:

Did that when I striped mine down, weighing everything as I went along. I am determined to get the weight of my Inbred down, It started at 30lbs and so far down to 27lbs
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Sarnian wrote:
    Northwind wrote:
    stumpyjon wrote:

Did that when I striped mine down, weighing everything as I went along. I am determined to get the weight of my Inbred down, It started at 30lbs and so far down to 27lbs

You probably took off half a pound in mud and gunk when you stripped it :wink:
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Sarnian
    Lol nice one, I have changed a few parts and I think I can get It down to about 25lbs :D
  • Northwind
    Heh, mainly I've discovered that the old carrera frame actually isn't as heavy as I thought... Got some bad numbers off the net there. So, the rebuilt bike will be, oh, 350 grams less than the old one, I think. Not a big change. But it's all thoroughly cleaned and greased and I'm hoping the frame will suit me a bit better. And then, my revelations should arrive and it's all fun and games.

Oh, and the XTR cable set is completely hopeless for a bike with fully enclosed cable runs :? Need to order outers seperately, or bodge something up.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    350 grams is nearly a pound so is a decent lump of weight to lose.
  • Northwind
    Oh, yeah, that sounded really moaney, I'm not at all sorry to see the back of anothe rthird of a kilo... Just was expecting a good bit more. I'm thinking the frame weight I've seen online must have included the BB or something, or maybe been an older frame. The main thing is, it looks much cooler :lol: The seatpost is so long I can barely see the top tube through all the clouds.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Jon8a
    Jon8a Posts: 235
    Weight reduction is over rated (but then I do ride a steel 456, not known for being a light weight). It's a bit like buying a new bike to make you faster, it will up until a point but you need skill and stamina more than anything else.

BAck to the stripping, I'll wait till easter. Still got the worst of winter to come yet so no point until it's dried up a bit, then it's a time to strip and replace bits.
  • stumpyjon
    Northwind, all the cable kits are like that, I bought flying snakes and only had enough outer to do the rear (at least it didn't come pre-cut). I've gone back to bog standard Shimano SP41 (bought from CRC by the metre), seems to shift smoothly and doesn't cost a fortune to replace regularly :wink:

• Northwind
    Yeah, should probably have seen it coming. First time I've built a bike with full cable runs and it just never dawned on me, ah well. Hopefully the outers'll have arrived today. I've got enough cable to run one derailler otherwise :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist