building a bike

tv
tv Posts: 338
edited December 2008 in MTB buying advice
hey guys looking at making my own bike up from scratch for the first time!

just wondering if anyone has or could write me a list of all the parts needed? frame, forks, disc brakes, cassetes brackets etc!

cheers for the help in advance

Comments

• tv
    tv Posts: 338
    also say i bought this;

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... egoryId=87

what else would i need to buy?
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    Have a look at the specs for a bike from an online shop or whatever, eg technical specifications on here - http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkMode ... itch&eid=2
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    edited December 2008
    Frame
    Forks
    Headset+spacers
    Chainset
    Bottom bracket (unless you buy intergrated type - hollowtech 2 etc)
    Stem
    Bars
    Grips
    Pedals
    Front and rear Mechs
    Shifters
    Cassette
    Chain
    Tyres+Tubes
    Wheels
    Seatpost
    Seatclamp
    Saddle
    Brakes
    Cables (inner and outer)

Think thats it, and some tools to fit it all.

For the Merlin, you will need evreything thats not listed.
  • you're going to need a lot of tools.....

plus some items e.g. heasdet are best fitted by a shop because the tools necessary are hella expensive.
  • Consider that you may have some issues with the brake hoses (and fitting a headset maybe a LBS job). I just cable tie mine on (brake hoses, not headset :D ), but if you want them running through the mounts/guides on the frame, generally you'll need to take the brake hoses off, thread them through and re-bleed the brakes after (major hastle), or possibly file out the mounts/guides on the frame to fit the hoses in. Other than that, building up the bike is easy if you've already had experience of taking off and replacing (+ setting up) cranks, cassettes and mechs.

Easy with the right tools. Just don't go banging things in place if you don't have the tools- i've made that mistake a few times- there's no point buying good precise components and then butchering them into place

Not only is it fun building up a bike, it can be very good value. I recently got a new Maxlight XCpro frame on ebay for £120. Bought some light bars and a seat post from CRC flood sale, and transferred the rest of the kit off my bike. Under £175 for a completely new feeling bike. It's a great way to try a load of different 'bikes' fairly cheaply.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Easy with the right tools. Just don't go banging things in place if you don't have the tools- i've made that mistake a few times- there's no point buying good precise components and then butchering them into place.
    Are you trying to suggest that mole grips and a hammer are not a suitable toolkit for 90% of bike servicing?

Nonsense I tell you! :D
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Daz555 wrote:
    Are you trying to suggest that mole grips and a hammer are not a suitable toolkit for 90% of bike servicing?

Nonsense I tell you! :D

Thinking about it, mole grips, a rag and a rubber mallet are useable for 90% of bike servicing!