Are clipless pedals standardized?

robertjmiller
robertjmiller Posts: 40
edited January 2009 in MTB beginners
Are clipless pedals and shoes standardized such that you can interchange them between brands and styles?

Comments

• stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    You can use any type/style of compatible spd/clipless shoes, but not all pedals have the same cleats, eg..a shimano pedal cleat would not fit a time/crank brothers pedal. Cleats are only compatible with the pedal they come with. Most cleats will work on the same brand but are not interchangeable between the two.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    You usually get the cleats when you buy the pedals (not with the shoes) but you can buy cleats on their own as well.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes no and maybe.

what are you wanting to use with what?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks. I didn't have a particular pedal to cleat combination in mind. I noticed that pedals for sale online are typically sold separately from cleats or shoes and, thus, was curious about their interchangeability.
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Most pedals are sold with cleats, alot of webbys dont mention it though, ive never known anyone to buy spd/clipless and not get cleats included, generally the cleats advertised are for when you need to replace your worn out ones.
  • There are two systems commonly used on shoes, 2 hole and 3 hole. 3 hole is mostly on road cleats, 2 hole on MTB. Occasionally you will get a mismatch in which case you may be able to get an adapter.

Most MTB shoes are sold as SPD compatible (2 hole) and can also be used with other systems such as Crank Bros, ATAC etc without problems.

Marv
    What tree ? ...........

Trek 8000 ZR XC hardtail.