Punctures

JWnutter
JWnutter Posts: 7
edited January 2009 in Road beginners
Hey, my uncle keeps on complaining to me that nearly every time he goes out on his bike, he gets punctures! Is there anything that i can advise him to do so that he can reduce the amount of punctures that he gets? Thanks

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    not much info to go on here, but he can either:

a) stop going out on his bike
    b) pump his tyres up
    c) avail himself of a new set of tyres with some sort of built-in puncture resistance

hopefully one of those should be applicable.. ;)
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    d) check tyre carefully for embedded sharp thing
    e) check rim tape carefully to ensure proper coverage and nothing sharp penetrating
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Best thing I ever did was replace any plasic rim tape with Velox tape.

I rate a decent track pump an essential piece of kit too.
  • BUICK
    BUICK Posts: 362
    Tell him to never EVER say, or write in full, the word pun***re. If the p***ture fairy hears you or sees it written, verily, you shall suffer a sudden expulsion of air from your inner tubes
    '07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
    '07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
    STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    BUICK wrote:
    Tell him to never EVER say, or write in full, the word pun***re. If the p***ture fairy hears you or sees it written, verily, you shall suffer a sudden expulsion of air from your inner tubes
    ^^^true^^^
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Some times it's best NOT to go out.
    Went for a ride up Mr Boltby in below zero conditions, span the back wheel on salt and gravel , and tore the old back tyre and punctured the tube. Replaced the tyre with new spare folder I always carry in winter and long valve tube. Just getting the tyre up to full pressure and the valve stem snapped off :twisted: Now with freezing fingers I attempt twice to put a patch on the old tube without success so it's a case of pump up ride like the devil for a mile or two pump up again and repeat all the way home. With warm hands I could have fixed it properly but not with frozen fingers.
    Moral:
    always carry 2 spare tubes as is frequently mentioned in mags and on this forum :oops:
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • marusches
    marusches Posts: 129
    f) stop using vittoria zafirro tyres .......

Schwalbe ultremo tyres and tubes are the answer
    aslo inflate to correct pressure