Looking for routes around Cheltenham and Rock Shox Pike

Ross-Frammo
Ross-Frammo Posts: 8
edited January 2009 in MTB rides
I've just brought a new mountain bike, and I am looking for routes around the Cheltenham area. I am also thining of updating the forks from Mx Pro Lo to Rock Shox Pike, reviews on the Pike's have been good, however are there any aleternatives?
Cheers Ross

Comments

• dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    Well there's no shortage of routes in and around Cheltenham, Leckhampton Hill being first on the list although to tackle some of the descents you'll need a bit of experience I think. Cleeve Hill will test your fitness if you choose to ride up on to the top, once there you can follow many of the paths and sheep tracks along the escarpment or over the other side - just explore.
    If you want to ride further afield or a short drive theres some decent stuff over at birdlip/cranham/painswick in the Buckholt Woods. In fact tomorrow i'm planning on riding from leckhampton hill over to birdlip/cranham and back (bridlepath that goes through the ullenwood star college). Also theres the forest of dean with the FODCA trail and the numerous other tracks through the forest. not toooo far from cheltenham.

Forks wise - is it your first mountain bike? If so I wouldn't worry about swapping forks over etc. Ride them for a while and get your skills up first. To use pikes to their potential you have to ride them pretty hard. I've a friend who's had a £500 GT avalanche for the past yearish which has some suntour forks on i think they are. I'd have said to him to upgrade them but they've ridden all over scotland and wales without a hiccup so i'd hold onto yours for a while and see how you get on.
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    I'll second that! Birdlip, Cranham and Painswick across the beacon are all great rides especially if you combine them all into one trip, which is my regular loop and takes a couple of hours. Went up on the beacon today and it was like a picture postcard what with the frost everywhere.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • Thanks for that guys much appreciated. As for the advice on the forks I think that you have a point. However I am thinking of joining the Cheltenham Cycling Club to use my bike a bit more. I've been thinking about going up to the 'hills', its about 25minutes from my house in churchdown to leckhampton hill.
    Cheers Ross