number9 Posts: 440
    edited January 2009
    edited, quadruple post
  • number9
    edited, pentagonal post
  • number9
    The big question is why whenever Oliver is questioned about anything, he dissolves into a swearing ranting loon - I just think he is a total loser.

Would you like to show me where I swore? Of course I'm 999Oliver, and I didn't swear at anybody. I asked a number of awkward questions and highlighted the posts about killing cyclists on that thread, look for yourself.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Hmmmmm, I pick up two things from this thread.

1) the importance of challenging journalistic inaccuracies.

2) the sheer futility of trying to convert fanatics.

If I were you, number9, I'd divert my energies towards correcting the journalists, rather than wasting time trying to progress rational debate with a special interest group who have aleady made up their minds and have no intention of allowing mere logic or facts to influence them.

Of course, there'd be nothing to stop you using some of the posts on the SS site to help you in your mission to discredit them. I have to say I found their arguments extremely persuasive when it came to making up my mind how much credence to give their points of view.
  • number9
    A few of us immediately contact the media when some misguided sub ed quotes safespeed. We point out their main forum supporter is pretending to be a copper, Claire's entire campaign is based on lies and the campaign attracts some extremely unpleasant, not to say sociopathic supporters. It's not true to say they're an irrelevance since smith died if they still get their silly quotes in newspapers.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    I'd be the last to say they're an irrelevance. They're positively dangerous. Not dissimilar to the ABD really. I just don't think you're likely to convert many of them.
  • number9
    No need to convert them, no hope either, they are like recidivists or racists, logic and reasoning goes way over their head, getting banned for asking awkward questions is a good way of demonstrating how isolated and unstable they are.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Leave the Playpen alone!

It is nice to see the natural evolution and benefit from it.

A few years ago we had the master himself on the local radio. He was being interviewed about speeding.

A quick email to the Station, (highlighting the "Avoid page", naming dead people as drivers and how the statistics were being queried by the very people that SS was claiming verified them, and a link to a couple of the more radical threads) and the article was lifted form further broadcasts!

Give them enough rope and they will hang themselves!
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Leave the Playpen alone!

Wise words well spoken.
  • number9
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kz1nF7Xss ... re=related

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14859607950

" I think we can all agree that The Bloke On Sky News Who Acts Like David Brent (aka Paul Smith) deserves a state funeral far more than Thatcher.

And yes, we would have to dig him up in order to bury him again. But it feels only fitting that we have to do that TWICE..."
  • Crooky
    Crooky Posts: 604
    Just watched the song on youtube, it's brilliant.