GP4000s and GP Attack/Force tyre set

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited December 2008 in Road beginners
Except for price what are the differences between these Continental tyres?

They both have the same Conti gimmicks: Black Chilli, Vectran etc.... Both claim exceptional grip and greater rolling resistance.

I've read up on both and am a little confused as to the differences that would make me choose one over the other.

Please explain if you can.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• See here:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id= ... i_gp_force

Seems more like some sort of gimmick than anything revolutionary, why have a smaller tyre at front and wider at back, any-one with experience feel free to shoot me down.............
    Stand my for me to get corrected :wink: :arrow:
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Smaller tyre at the front for less wind resistance. It also has less weight to carry. Front tyre has softer compound for better grip.
    Rear tyre has bigger carcase to carry more weight and give better drive. Harder compound for better wear. Less prone to pinch flats.
    This is what Conti said when they first came out. It seems to work. I came down the Tourmalet like a stone in a very heavy rain storm and was totaly confident of them.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    John.T wrote:
    Smaller tyre at the front for less wind resistance. It also has less weight to carry. Front tyre has softer compound for better grip.
    Rear tyre has bigger carcase to carry more weight and give better drive. Harder compound for better wear. Less prone to pinch flats.
    This is what Conti said when they first came out. It seems to work. I came down the Tourmalet like a stone in a very heavy rain storm and was totaly confident of them.
    +1 I'm running them at the mo and impressed so far.
  • +1. Very impressed. also about 1500 miles this summer and only 1 puncture
  • So is there a noticable difference from the conti gp4000s?
    I seem to remember you used them as well Jash? :?
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    I have not used either in 'Black Chili' yet but I have used 4000s in 25 format for Flanders and a few sportives and they have been fine. Now on my fixed winter bike. I would say that on greasy winter roads there is not much to pick between them. On wet summer roads the Attack / Force are very good and I would certainly get them again. The 14mm rear tyre should give slightly more comfort on poor roads but we are really just splitting hairs here.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    So is there a noticable difference from the conti gp4000s?
    I seem to remember you used them as well Jash? :?

Currently running GP4000S' on the winter bike and the Force/Attack on the Prince. Not sure there's much difference but it feels grippier at the back. The black Chilli tires are fab though.