Any one suffer from a heart condition

Twisterboy
Twisterboy Posts: 311
edited January 2009 in Health, fitness & training
Hi all,

Quick question, I'm new to biking and using it for fitness and pleasure.

I have a heart condition where I am on lisonpril to keep one of my main arteries working ie if I did not take it the arterie would narrow to the heart.

I'm just wondering if any fellow riders have a heart condition, I am guessing that cycling would be good for the heart and I've been encouraged by the doctor to keep fit.

Any advice from people who have a heart condition?

Cheers

David

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I have Atrial Fibrillation which is an irregular heartbeat caused by the nerves in my heart not firing in the right order. Had it for years and as long as I take my Beta blocker every morning it doesnt cause me any problems.

Cycling is very good for my condition and as long as your doctors okay with it and you carry a medic alert bracelet I would say go for it, just build your self up slowly over a couple of months.

One tip I can give you for getting fit map out a circuit of about 10 miles and ride it keeping your self to a limit where you can still talk with only a few gasps and your heart beat doesnt go past about 150. Time yourself write down time and go back regulary and do the ride again timing yourself at first the ride might take you over an hour but if your riding regulary that time will come down you might be surprised how your time tumbles.

This little ride is your baseline for how fit you are if your time suddenly shoots up it could be a warning of a detoriation of your condition. It might sound like a lot of fuss but it has worked for me.

Welcome to the crowd and best of luck hope it goes well for you
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I used to take an ACE inhibitor for high blood pressure, along with a few others lol, but now just on beta blockers for it and to control palpitations. I could get a bit dizzy on the ACE inhibitor (ramipril) especially as I was on a diuretic too, but no other side effects.
  • Thanks for the replys and the tips, my heart condition is I was born with my vessells pumping the wrong way and I had a operation at 6 months old (Mustard Operation can't think of the technical term) in the long run I can do things like most people but sometimes even a simple run can tire me out.

David
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Wow, one of my friends was born with that, or similar: his lips were always blue due to deoxygenated blood! He's had a few ops, doing great, fit as a fiddle and a biker.
  • Dr_Death
    Dr_Death Posts: 1,262
    Cycling shouldn't be a problem, in fact should be a positive benefit, as long as you are sensible. Build up slowly and don't overdo things but the fitter you are the better....
    Steve

Trust me, I'm a doctor!

http://www.vimeo.com/DrDeath